Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Trojan Horse

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Im confused somewhat here. I use Norton as my firewall, and its alwasy steling me that a Trojan Horse is tryin to do this and that, gives me the info, and to be honest ive never really bothered my backside to check up on it. In saying that it just happened again so i decided to check up on it and it couldnt do a full trace on it but what it did find out was that it seems its coming from my ISP, it being Telewest. The reason im confused is why would it think my ISP is a trojan horse, or does it think that it carrys something it thinks could be a trojan virus ??

I know that a lot of the suspected Trojan attemptes are not necessarily real trojan virus's but heh...

So any help advice etc welcome :)

Comments

• Options
    A screenshot of the info i was provided through the trace i did
  • Options
    There may be an infected machine on your network that is randomly trying to find another host to infect. Also run a full virus scan on your system to make sure your not infected. What is it Norton is telling you about this trojan? Is it telling you that there is a trojan trying to connect from an outside source or is it that a trojan is trying to access the Internet?
  • Options
    Seems to be a bit of both i *think*

Just as i was reading your most Felix i had another 2 attempts, both inbound

Took another screenshot of what norton said ...
  • Options
    another part of the above screenshot
  • Options
    Like I say, just run a full virus scan to make sure your not infected. Norton is just alerting you that there is an attempt to connect to your computer. I run my firewall in silent and when I check my logs at the end of the the day I get around 2000 attempts of "someone tring to connect to my computer", but half of that is something called background noise which is harmless really.
  • Options
    do the trace command on that ip ddress to see what company it is, and then email the comapny saying a certain ip is trying to hack ur computer, that mite work
  • Options
    I might try that actually.

Another thing, i remember someone telling me something about being able to ask my ISP to give me another ip address, i dunno how these type of things work though. The reason i would like a new IP address is that the modem i am using is faulty *i think* and this was suggested to me, ie phone them up and ask for a new ip address to be given to me...

What happens is my broadband modem "Cuts out" so to speak in that it will stop sending / receiving data and i have to unlug in to restart it, then usuall ywithin minutes its back up and running, thing is that this can happen anything between every 5 minutes to every 2 hours to every week or month, thats how random the fault is, ie intermittent

Any ideas :confused:
  • Options
    Seriously it's nothing, everybody gets so called attacks but half the time it's just Internet noise. There's nothing you can do about it, even if you do change your IP address your get the same thing happen,
  • Options
    Originally posted by Richeh
    What happens is my broadband modem "Cuts out" so to speak in that it will stop sending / receiving data and i have to unlug in to restart it, then usuall ywithin minutes its back up and running, thing is that this can happen anything between every 5 minutes to every 2 hours to every week or month, thats how random the fault is, ie intermittent

Any ideas :confused:

Sounds like a faulty modem. I had a similar problem with my router and it turned out that it wasn't getting a good enough supply of electricity, so I took it out of the extension cable and straight into the wall, and gave it better airflow so it didnt overheat so much. no problems since :)
  • Options
    yeah, looks like Norton trying to prove you're getting your moneys worth.

Far more usefull would be a "and it would have connected to 'jimbob3.exe' which isn't on my list of allowed programs"

do a netstat -an and see if there is anything listening on that port (I'm not entireley sure of the mswindows syntax)