Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Taking the piss or what

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just heard on the news some guy who spent 11 years for a crime he didn't commit and then got compensation of £600,000 has been asked to pay back £40,000 to the prison as his board and lodgings in prison for 11 years.. WTF :eek2:

During the 11 years his marriage broke down, hiis mother died and daughter died too and he had a nervous breakdown....

Does this country take the piss or what.

And £600,000 is nothing for 11 years of your life.

Comments

• Options
    Thats utter tripe!

What a load of shite! :mad:
  • Options
    Re: Taking the piss or what
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    Just heard on the news some guy who spent 11 years for a crime he didn't commit and then got compensation of £600,000 has been asked to pay back £40,000 to the prison as his board and lodgings in prison for 11 years.. WTF :eek2:

Sounds about bloody right. Yet another shining example of our prisons and the justice system in general, makes you proud doesn't it :rolleyes:

Sad thing is, if he hadn't been accquitted, had served his full sentence and then been released - they wouldn't have been asking for it back. So he's expected to pay for the pleasure of his time in the clink, just because he didn't belong there. It's not a friggin holiday camp.

The mind boggles.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Taking the piss or what
    Originally posted by briggi
    The mind boggles.
    mine does that on a regular basis.
  • Options
    This reminds me of the time someone got charged with attacking a police officier with a deadly weapon, except the weapon was a can of pepper spray or CS Gas and they got it off of the police officer in a struggle when the police officer was trying to use it on them inthe first place.

This country is just screwed up...

£600,000 where I live won't last you long. a 3 bedroom house around here is about £270,000. If he stuck the rest inthe bank then maybe he's get about £10,000 per year interest to live on.

I think we should have a minimum payout for time in jail for a crime you didn't commit and I think a good starting point is minimum of £100,000 per year for every year wrongly imprissoned.

Asking for £40,000 for lodgings from the person you forced to be there is beyound belief.
  • Options
    see what happens when you privatise the prisons ...hmp sainsburys no doubt.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Taking the piss or what
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    mine does that on a regular basis.

Yeah, if boggles is a synonym for "packs up completely and goes on strike". :p I'm only messin' :D
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Taking the piss or what
    Originally posted by briggi
    Yeah, if boggles is a synonym for "packs up completely and goes on strike". :p
    that as well!