Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

is the white man to blame?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
just saw this on channel 5, think its the wright show, so is the white man to blame for all the problems in the world?

personally i choose to blame bad people and the bad side of human behaviour
(well i am white english so im not exactly gonna put the blame on myself but i do think are very responsible)

and if any part of the world had developed the technology to go around world the same would have happened in their own way...

Comments

• Options
    I think white people have a lot to answer for... perhaps not as much in today's society but indeed in colonial times. White man's belief in their superiority.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    I think white people have a lot to answer for... perhaps not as much in today's society but indeed in colonial times. White man's belief in their superiority.

I'd imagine though, that had another race been in Europe and white people were living in Africa then they would have invading parts of Africa and colonised it, it was the times to blame, not a race of people.
  • Options
    it could be argued that we in europe had reached our peak by the 1700s as in were producing as much as we could without actually using up extra resources like coal

this is what partially started off the industrial revolution as factories were going a full throttle as wood couldnt be grown fast enough, and that in turn mean we were no longer fussed about food either etc as were were using our land to the max, so we moved up that pyramid of needs thing

lets not forget its only cause we had the technology, people in africa, north america etc were killing eachother like we were, its just we had more advanced means of killing

any other huma population unless truly enlightened would have done the same as the europeans, which is to exert control on its neighbours, except we had access to almost everywhere which meant trying to control the globe
  • Options
    I see what you are saying but you asked the question about white people specifically and I answered it. If it had been the other way around and black or asian people had had the resources to colonise other nations then I would be saying the same thing but about them! It is a situation borne of the circumstances yes, that doesn't make it right though.

It really isn't something that can be changed so really there isn't much of a need to argue about it.
  • Options
    yeh i just posted the question cause i saw it on a tv prgram and im sitting there thinking "yeh we are to blame inthe past, and well some leadrer cough cough bush at the moment" but instead of sitting there looking to blame someone, why not do something about it, well thats my own opinion, as i wanna do something good in my life :D
  • Options
    trouble is us white people are going to break everything ...
  • Options
    White man's belief in their superiority.

Which still exists, to an extent.

I think the real issue is that in the past we (the UK) had the capability to enforce our will on other people and so we used it. Hence we get the empire and the riches that come with it.

I'm not sure that there was ever the concious thought that we should oppress people who didn't look the same as us. More that we could oppress people who were weaker than us.

When you think about it, times haven't really changed that much, The strong dominate the weak and I don't think that will change. Except that when China and India wake up to their capabilities, they will be the dominant force in the world.

I think there is still a huge amount of arrogance on the part of "developed" countries towards the less devloped one. We still refer to some nations as "third world" for example. I always come back to the same arguement though, without oil, just how developed are we really, just how superior will we be when our technology doesn't work?

In answer to the original question, yes the white man has alot to answer for, our patriacal approach to world affairs has left so many nations in trouble - see the Balkans, India/Pakistan, Iraq, Israel/Palestine and Zimbabwe as areas where the western world's meddling has actually created problems.

I don't think that this is because the wetsern wolrd in predominantly white though, just that we developed the technology to enable it to happen, and then used that technology to enforce our will. Thus looking after our own interests first...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent

I'm not sure that there was ever the concious thought that we should oppress people who didn't look the same as us. More that we could oppress people who were weaker than us.
    I think it was a general belief that the British (and other European nations in general) were more civilised than the 'savages' who lived in the colonies. We saw their way of life as primitive and set about to bring them up to scratch. I think Shakespeare's The Tempest sums up my feelings on the matter - who were/are we to impose our morals on another people?
  • Options
    Fuck off. White people are not to blame for all the worlds problems. That is the most racist orientated accusation I have ever heard. That argument is exactly like what killroy said about Arabs being woman opressors etc It is simply totally out of order to generalise according to race and if we start blaming white people for all the crimes of the world does this mean they face a charge for their crimes? Perhaps we should shoot all white people for these crimes? This type of racially generated shit stirrs up hatrid among communities. Say I was a black person and someone told me that white people were responsible, I would be definately annoyed and I would want justice. Perhaps if you look at it another way and blame black people for the start and spread of AIDS, one could argue they should be brought to justice for the mass murder of millions. Of course one cannot simply blame the worlds problems on a race can they?
  • Options
    Maybe saying White people are to blame is to simplify the problem.

However if you look at the problems which exist in the world today you can argue that some are direct results from the European colonial adventures of the past. Africa can be seen as an example of this as the borders of these countries were not created by the people who lived there but were created after the fall of the European empires and decided by the leaving colonial powers. This helped stir up the ethnic conflicts there
  • Options
    I think it was a general belief that the British (and other European nations in general) were more civilised than the 'savages' who lived in the colonies.

no it werent cause they were another culture, its cause they were another culture not at our level of technoligical advance, so to our ancestors obviously we were more adanced than them, and that made us apparantly more civilised, when really it jsut made us more efficient killing machines...

basically we did what we could get away with at the time

and on the topic of china and india, they will be world powers eventually, but if more countries go the american way of stupid oil consumption like china is going, then we'll run out of our main source of energy before they can get advanced enough,,,,

a world power normally becomes a world power due to it doing something to sperate it from rest of world, romans had their war machine, greeks had their arts, chinese had their astronomy, britain had industrial revolution, usa had production lines and a hardcore business culture..... and china appears to be doing a lot of GM research on everything, and india just appears to whore itself to anything :p from their major lack of true infrastructure unlike china whose investing in a solid infrastructure
  • Options
    Originally posted by Rocksteady
    ...AIDS...

You really have a thing about that disease, don't you?
  • Options
    Perhaps if you look at it another way and blame black people for the start and spread of AIDS, one could argue they should be brought to justice for the mass murder of millions. Of course one cannot simply blame the worlds problems on a race can they?

Some say AIDs was manufactured by America as a biological weapon :p. But that's not the point. I think you've taken the question out of proportion and taken it as an accusation: it is not. It's querying as to whether the world's problems are products of white men and women's actions? What's more, it was a query in response to a television programme inviting comments. There isn't always a need to take things so personally :p.

With regards to the thread; I think that the problems of the world are actually the fault of human development. If we had never developed social skills and built villages, towns and cities then we would still be wandering nomads looking for our next meal. With this; there wouldn't be pollution from factories, serious deforestation across the world and a large number of diseases that are a product of our medicines (for the most effective disease possible to come into existence you must first cure and destroy every other disease).
  • Options
    hear hear!!!

if we spent our time looking for our next meal and avoiding being eaten, then we wouldnt worry bout finding a job or finding out what the next fashion is etc :p

our problem is being a social animal
  • Options
    Are white men to blame for the all the wickedness in the world?

LMAO, color has nothing to do with wickedness. The only reason that we are living in this way, is because of "adam and eve"(our first fathers) and That old devil, whom we callest Satan, and man.

But again , color, race, religion, faith, none of that has nothing to do with wickedness.
  • Options
    Say I was a black person and someone told me that white people were responsible, I would be definately annoyed and I would want justice.

No you wouldn't. I can tell you that as a fact.

I don't believe you can actually blame a single race for the state the world is in at the moment. Everyone has done something wrong along the way.

At the risk of sounding like Kilroy, if there is a race to blame, I blame the Arabs. Everything the British did (capturing and trading with slaves), conquering areas for valuable minerals, imposing beliefs and morols on people etc the Arabs did first. They showed the West what they could benefit from doing such things, and so the West followed suit.
  • Options
    Originally posted by the doc horatio
    At the risk of sounding like Kilroy, if there is a race to blame, I blame the Arabs. Everything the British did (capturing and trading with slaves), conquering areas for valuable minerals, imposing beliefs and morols on people etc the Arabs did first. They showed the West what they could benefit from doing such things, and so the West followed suit.

War and conquering is as old as human society you can't place blame a race for starting it.

And at least the Arab nations showed a certain amount of toleration to the cultures they invaded (a lot more than can be said for Europeans). They allowed Catholicism (albeit as second rate citizens but by the standards of the day fuck even by todays standards thats still pretty tolerant). Muslim Spain had a lot more toleration for the Catholics than the Catholic Kings did for the Muslims.

And lets face it, its not just other cultures that Europeans attacked - the countless wars between European countries show that they were pretty indescriminate about who they killed and conquered.

I agree that race is really irrelevant it is human nature that is to blame.