Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Blondeness

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm going to the hairdressers on Wednesday to get my hair cut and have my roots done. I've got blonde highlights and they seem to be really bright and pretty when I leave the salon but get a bit dull after a few weeks.

I'm just wondering if those shampoos for highlighted/blonde hair work any better than normal shampoos?

If so can I have a point in the right direction as to which ones work the best please?

Many thanx

Comments

• Options
    My hair's naturally blonde, but I do a heck of a lot to keep it sheeny-shiny (and not at the moment, since it's the colour of sludge). Anyway...

Blonde hair easily starts looking dull and limp, because any products you used...hairsprays, gels, leave-in conditioners all build-up and don't get rinsed out when you're washing your hair. Anyway this is what causes it to be dull, it's to do with the cuticles being blocked or something. Also blonde hair is more porous (so I'm told) than darker hair, and the build up in the follicles is more noticable because of the light colour.

About once a month I squeeze two lemons into two pints of warm water and rinse it through my hair, work it into the roots and then rinse through thoroughly in the shower with warm water. It smells nice and always works well for me.

Another thing I do is steep chamomile teabags in hot water, let it cool a little and then massage into my hair. I pile it on my head and wrap it in clingfilm (looks a bit dodgy, but trust me) to let it incubate for 20 minutes or so. Then I rinse it out and voila. :D I'd highly recommend camomile shampoos (often they state on the label that they're recommended for blonde hair) as they're naturally beneficial to blonde hair.

The shampoos by big-name hairdressers always seem like a rip-off to me, so I can't really comment on them...except that when my hair needs a real pick-me-up I buy a sachet of the intensive conditioner for blonde hair by Andrew Collinge (sp?) and it works wonders too. Only costs 99p-ish too.

I'm sure other people have got other great remedies, I know all my friends have their own homemade potions and fixes, as well as the marketed stuff.

Edited to add: Since you're going to the hairdressers, take the opportunity to ask your stylist about the best shampoos and indeed about natural treatments if they know any. They know best...but don't let them force you into buying every product in their overpriced in-salon range. You know they'll try to :lol:
  • Options
    I was trying so hard to think of the name and Rachie's got it. Sheer blonde, a few of my blonde friends have used it and they love it. I'd assume its worth a try :)
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    There are lots of blue tinted shampoos and conditioners for blonde hair, they lift the yellow brassy tones out and make your blonde bits brighter. I think my friend uses the redken one....
  • Options
    Loreal do one, I can't remember what it's called. It's a type of toner. If you use it on coloured blonde, it tones down the orange-ness and leaves it more creamy. It's fine to use on natural blonde too, and it's purple :cool:

I've use Sheer Blonde by John Frieda a bit, I don't find it make that much of a difference though.
  • Options
    for a cheap one, try tescos own chamomile shampoo and conditioner. I found when I had highlights, this used to really brighten them up. I kept having people ask me if theyd been re-done. Under a quid a bottle so youve got nothing to lose.
  • Options
    yeah i know that feeling to well :mad: really pisses me off how its lovely and blonde then all browny after a few weeks

briggi-dosent the lemon make your hair dry? cuz that sounds like a good idea, do you use conditioner afterward?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Char_Baby
    briggi-dosent the lemon make your hair dry? cuz that sounds like a good idea, do you use conditioner afterward?

Not at all. Lemon juice has the stigma of drying your hair out, because dafties squeeze it on their locks and then bake themselves in the sun, which is very unwise IMO. Anyway, it's obviously not as concentrated as that, being diluted in the warm water, and of course you're rinsing it out. I always condition my hair..whether I've done the lemon treatment or not, and my preference is for camomile shampoos and conditioners like (as rainbow brite suggested) tescos own brand, which is cheap and does as much for blondies as any of these overpriced "designer" shampoos and conditioners. All the supermarkets do own brand shampoo and conditioner for specific hair colours though (henna, camomile etc) so take your pick! I'd highly recommend it :)
This discussion has been closed.