Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Mushrooms (again)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've heard that magic mushrooms look very similar to a highly poisonous mushroom. Could anyone highlight the differences? Maybe post a picture of the two?

Comments

• Options
    The main ones which could be confusing are Fly Agaric compared to the Death Cap I believe its called.

Its the wrong season anyway, so either you buy them from somewhere or you dont get to do them.
  • Options
    Fly agarics should not be confused with death caps. Fly agarics are bright red with white spots, while death caps are a greenish-yellow colour.

fly agaric:
    http://thenewzealandsite.com/photos/SA01_34Mush.jpg

death cap:
    http://members.aol.com/basidium/deathcap.jpg
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda

Its the wrong season anyway, so either you buy them from somewhere or you dont get to do them.
    very true so your only going to be getting a bag of flaky stuff. not that thats knocking the drugs ...i'm sure they will be real fine but you won't realy be needing an indepth knowledge of mushroom picking to score in the pub ...
    denbigh moors come autumn ...people from all over europe!
  • Options
    I know of at least 2 places where mushrooms will be growing in just over a month and vaguely know of another. :D
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    The all-knowing Erowid has a ton of information about muchrooms, including Mushroom Identification Guide links, on this page.

I have copied this straight from this page
    Wild Mushroom Identification Warning

There is NO way to identify a mushroom based solely on a photo or even a written description. Identifying mushrooms is a complex process and it's easy to make mistakes. There are many varieties of both edible and psychoactive mushrooms which have poisonous look-alikes. Even an expert can be fooled by the outward appearance of these deadly look-alikes.

Unless you can either explore with a mycologist or knowledgeable and seasoned mushroom hunter, or take the time to learn the careful process of mushroom identification yourself through reading books and preferably joining a mycological society...we would strongly recommend not eating mushrooms you pick yourself.

Learning to identify mushrooms isn't difficult in and of itself, but it takes training. Because the down-side of eating a poisonous mushroom is so great...one needs to be extraordinarily careful.

Says it all really. Just because mushies are legal in their undried form does not mean they are a benign and harmless drug. Psychedelics can get really nasty if it all goes wrong.