Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Breathing difficulties

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
In one sentance:- I can't get my breath after I've had a cold

In detail:-
So I had a mild cold, took the echinaecia (sic) and cold relief tablets, no booze, lotsa liquids-the first two days were fine, I thought great! Friday night I developed a nasty cough and was unable to get any sleep as all I could hear was a wheezing to match Darth vader and alos I was expecting my family back off holiday. All in all I got about 3 hours sleep.

I was supposed to be going shopping with a pal ande my mom told me to take a puff of her inhaler. It did help a bit. I also took some benelyn and a cold relief pill. The first part of the morning was spent with me coughing alot but bein unable to well, get any flem up. The cough dispeared and i started to feel out of it. I put this down to perhaps being overheated and taking too much medicine in the morning.

Then from midday onwards I couldnt get my breath, I had to sit down in all the shops and I couldn't lean back on the train or I really coudln't breathe at all. I had to lean forward and sort of puff out my breath like a pregnant lady would do (think thats what the woman next to me thought).

I got home and mom told me to have two puffs of the inhaler-an instant effect, I could breathe a bit better. I don't know if this was just in my head. I had a bath but it didnt help and whilst watchin tv I had to lean forward all of the time.

Dad says I must have some gunk in my lungs blockin the airways to put it in a non scientific way. Mom says this is the second time its happened to me after a cold (true) and says its the same symptoms she had before she was told she has asthma. I feel as though I am suffocating with someone tying a tight rope around my lungs.

Went to bed and put a hard cushion so I was raised up and i did have a good nights sleep. I'm not as breathless as yesterday but still if i do anything other than just sit leaning forward, I get this can't breathe feeling.

This is probably something and nothing but I'm a bit scared when it comes to things like this-i panic and think I'm gonna die. I know that sounds daft but if my parents were still on hol sat I would have took myself to hospital.

What the hell is going on?! I guess its a chest infection-the cold got on my lungs or something. I'm gonna book into the docs tomorrow morn (as I had to stay off work today and they will want proof) but I just want to know is there anything can do to ease this breatheless-ness. I did buy some olbas oil that didnt work at all. I don't have blocked nose/or sinuses. Its just I can't breathe fully.

Sorry to ramble, just wonder if you can help out! (tell me I'm being a hyperchondriac too! I'm sure I am!)

Comments

• Options
    Re: Breathing difficulties
    Originally posted by Jowolvo
    I guess its a chest infection-the cold got on my lungs or something.

i'd guess that.

they can get quite nasty though, so the doctors is a great plan. and the more you panic, the more breathless you will get, so try to stay as calm as you can. i know that's easier said than done.

asthma inhalers will help, cause they relax the bronchial tubes, and make it loads easier to breathe. doesn't necessarily mean you have asthma though. some people are just more prone to cold and flu complications than others.
  • Options
    Thanks! I do try to help me stay calm by getting on me knees and breathin (like my old pmt relief position) and its helps-probably in my mind but it feels like it helps! Its so typical to happen to me! (i'm feelin very very sorry for myself!)
  • Options
    A lot of the time I have to keep taking deep breaths, not sure why, I think it maybe habbit, not sure really. I think you have a nasty chest infection, some anti-biotics should sort ya out. :)
  • Options
    Went to docs!

Firstly he told me off for using mom's puffer as it could have not suited me and made me really ill. Fair enough but it did help!

He then listened to my breathing and he said it was definitely wheezing (well i could tell that but its nice to know I'm not imagining things!)

He siad to take antibiotics (amoxycillin i think) and to take mom's inhaler 4 times a day and two puffs each time. But at the mo I don't feel I need it as much as I'm not doing anything strenuous and I don't wanna get addicted to it or stop the effects if I do need it when I do go to work later in the week.

Doc said not to go to work til the wheezin has stopped so I rang work. I also got a self certificate for being off work ill.

Anyways then yeh, not a nice experience but at least I will get better now hopefully!

Groovaybaby:- that sounds bad then-I mean having this for the second time is bad enough but having it frequently and not being listened too-well try goin to nhs direct place near to you-cause when my (ex) doc ignored me over what turned out to be tonsilitis I went to the nhs walk in place and they were much more detailed and better.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jowolvo
    and I don't wanna get addicted to it or stop the effects if I do need it when I do go to work later in the week.

ok, this may not be the same for everyone, but ive had asthma since ive been 2, and ive always been on inhalors+the effects of the medication have only been not as effective, due to my asthma getting worse for a few reasons - not due to my body becomming used to it!! also, i dont think its possible to become addicted to inhalors, although im not sure of this, so check with your doctor!! chin up, it'll be better soon
    SBG
    P.S. that feeling you described is felt in alot of people with asthma - inpending doom its known as, but just remember to take deep breaths and keep calm :thumb:
  • Options
    Well I haven't had the need to use it today but I will at least know it is ok to use the inhaler if I do suffer again.

It was my Dad who said I'd get used to it but hey-thats prob as he doesn't want me to use it all like I did the benylin! (Strange dreams while I was using that for my cough!)