Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

long term sore throat

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ive had one for the past 3 weeks, it all started wen i had a mild sore throat, went to my mates house party and was given a double absinthe as a welcomer, and well it got stuck in my throat whilst drinking and blistered it tempoarily, that was on 3rd july, and i still have it and im coughing up flem constantly etc and i dont know whats up

my docotor has told me to eat and drink well and have like 8 paracetemol a day which im doing but seems to be doing nothing!

any orther advice, my mate said garglin dissolved aspirin could help

Comments

• Options
    I had one that was bad at weekends and less so in the week fo about three weeks on and off and then I got a cold. I think maybe the virus had got into my system but was battling woth my immune system.

I guess your throat could easily have been inflamed and that would make it more susceptible to infection-which may have already been there but not been able to develop into a nasty infection til the absinthe. It could all be a coincidence tho.

I've done the gargling aspirin trick and it does indeed dull the pain. I can totally recommend any of the throat sprays-pop to your local chemist as they will be able to recomend whats best for you specifically. They totally numb the throat area and then you can at least swallow and eat/drink.

Try some live yoghurt too-its really soothing. Add a bit of honey if its not your taste.

Stay off alcohol and don't have TOO much dairy as that increase mucus (and therefore flem).
  • Options
    It might be that your sore throat is caused by bacteria rather than a virus in which case a course of anti-biotics should help. You may also have something like tonsilitis or glandular fever but with those you would probably feel generally unwell too, not just have a sore throat.

Keep doing what you're doing, make an appointment to see the GP and if it clears up in the meantime cancel it. :)
  • Options
    gargle salt water at least 3-5 times a day,tastes nasty,but will help