Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

STI and Blood Tests

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I want to go for a general STI screening test, not because I suspect I've caught anything but I just want to make sure I'm safe before I sleep with my new boyfriend.

Thing is, I'm absolutely petrified of needles and am near guaranteed to faint to the sight of one, let alone actually having one in my arm. I was going to go with my best mate who would have hopefully calmed me down but she's having problems getting time off work to come with me - if it was an ordinary blood test, I would get my mum to come with me, but perhaps that's not the best idea in this case! :eek: I'm fine about going on my own for the rest of it, it's just the needles which are the problem.

So, question is, what exactly are you being tested for when they do blood tests as part of the screening, and is there any way I can avoid it? I called the GUM clinic and they said they do a test as standard for syphilis and an optional one for HIV/Hepatitis - could I get away with not having these?

I'm sorry if I sound stupid and naive.. I really do want to get tested but I don't want the blood test if I'm on my own. :(

Comments

• Options
    You dont have to have them done if you dont want to.

They are for HIV and Syphilis
  • Options
    Yeah, blood tests are for HIV and syphilis and the others are tested through swabs.

Check out our FAQ on visiting a GUM clinic for more info on what to expect.

I have exactly the same problem with injections, but take a bottle of water in with you and explain the situation with the doctor/ nurse beforehand - they should let you lie down for a bit afterwards to recover - that's what I usually do when I have an injection - very embarrassing but I'm sure they've seen it all before!

Good luck
    :)