Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Travel Sickness

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone else get travel sick? If so, do you take travel sickness pills at all on journeys? Which are the best?

I came back from France on a big boat on monday an felt quite ill even thuogh the boat wasnt moving too much. I even used to feel ill when i was in a car going over speed bumps:chin: But i have just been invited to go from the Isle of Wight to France on a small speed-boat, but dont want to say no! Any tips!?

Comments

• Options
    You can get wrist bands which put pressure on certain points which are supposed to help.

How old are you? I used to get awful travel sickness but I don't anymore unless I read. Make sure you don't read because your brain gets confused and thinks you are sitting still, then when you look outside that's when you get sick.

Avoid eating anything and get lots of air (should be ok if you are going by speedboat)
  • Options
    Originally posted by PussyKatty
    How old are you? I used to get awful travel sickness but I don't anymore unless I read.

Yeah it used to be a lot worse, im 18 now and i dont get it as much, but it can still be a pain in the ass! Thanks for the advice:)
  • Options
    i get it horribly, especially on boats and cars, i'm not too bad on planes and trains.

i swear by sea legs or stugeron. they don't make you drowsy, and they last for ages. chat to the pharmacy person for advice.

those acupressure bands failed to work for me at all.

other things that help are getting lots of air, picking a point on the horizon and keeping your gaze there, and ginger (biscuits, capsules or stem ginger, if you're brave).
  • Options
    Joyrides are pretty good too. Just make sure if you go to purchase some you say the name very clearly or you might get a pharmacy assistant trying to press a packet of condoms on you like I did.

Also you can try inhaling peppermint or lavender oil from a tissue.
  • Options
    anything with ginger in it. Ginger biscuits, ginger beer, jamaica ginger cake, crystalised ginger, ginger cordial.
    It really really works. Its actually the homeopathic remedy for sickness and I swear by it.
    failing that, any antihistamine also doubles up as anti sickness pills.
  • Options
    Pressure bands :yes: I get really bad travel sickness, and i got these about a year ago and they work wonders. :)
  • Options
    I suffered terribly from travel sickness when I was younger but like Pussykaty I can now travel in ease unless I read. Reading whilst on the move gives me an awful headache.

I found ginger helped, as did a fresh air supply.
  • Options
    I've suffered terribly from it since I was born and I don't think it'll ever go away. If I go on a bus, boat or car journey that I know will last more than 15 minutes I take stugeron. Strangely I don't get it at all on trains. I took sea legs for 16 years of my life and the thought of them actually makes me feel sick now. Breathing in and out slowly also helps.
  • Options
    mine seemed to get better when i was a teenager, but when i was about 21 it came back with a vengeance.

not at all impressed.

oh, and the other thing i forgot that can help - close your eyes. sounds too simple, but can be really effective. find a well-ventilated spot, sit down, close your eyes and take deep breaths.
  • Options
    I used to get it bad when I was younger but now I'm ok, I think since I started driving it has got better.

I used to take tablets which I didn't like and then I got them wristbands, they worked really well for me .............. look cool aswell :rolleyes:
  • Options
    There are a group of drugs known as the anti-muscarinics, which include hyoscine and scopolamine. Hyoscine is available as a tablet, but can cause drowsiness.

A better option is a little patch impregnanted with scopolamine, and called Scopoderm. It's not more than the size of a 1p piece, and is worn behing the ear lobe. Apparently it's really good, but I'm pretty sure it's only available on prescription. I may be wrong though...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Matthew82
    A better option is a little patch impregnanted with scopolamine, and called Scopoderm. It's not more than the size of a 1p piece, and is worn behing the ear lobe. Apparently it's really good, but I'm pretty sure it's only available on prescription. I may be wrong though...

ooh, i saw it behind the counter in boots the other day. i know it used to be prescription only, but maybe this means you can now buy in OTC?

worth asking, i think.