Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Thick hair advice plz

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I thought some of you here might know how to keep thick/heavy hair up in a bun kind of thing.
My daughetr has to wear her hair up, totally off her face and its got to be very neat and tidy. I have a problem because her hair is that thick and it just wont stay in place. I dont really want to get it cut because shes been trying to grow it since the last time we had it hacked lol.
So what is the best way to keep it up ?
Her hair is about 5 inches past her shoulders and its very, very straight.

thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Options
    have u tried putting it up when its still damp with mousse so that it kinda dries moulded in a bun position? i hear them hair bungees are good for thick hair ive seen them in boots, like massive hair bobble thingies
  • Options
    The mousse idea sounds good.

I used to have to have my hair scraped back in a perfect bun for ballet, and my hair was annoyingly thick back then. I used to put it in a ponytail fairly high up, twist it round and secure it with those kirbygrips/hairgrips that match your haircolour. I did sometimes mist it with hairspray but didn't usually find that necessary.

Anyway, this always seemed to work for me, I find kirbygrips (I'm sure that's what they're called!?) a godsend, but all hair's different isn't it. I also guess you might have already tried this way, in which case the mousse idea seems like it'd be worth a try! :)
  • Options
    I exaggerated about her hair length, its infact about 3 ins past her shoulder :blush:

Thanks for the tips, will try the mousse idea.
    Kirbygrips...never heard of them but i will deff look out for them.
    you see it will go up but its keeping it there. I find the weight of it just pulls the bun out.
  • Options
    Yeh, kirby grips. You've probably seen them before but just not known what they were called. I've got quite fine hair and it doesn't stay up very well so I use them. You can get really small ones, and they come in different shades to match your hair colour-ish.
  • Options
    oh dear the olde ballet bun type thing.
    this was the bane of my life when i danced, we used to scrape all my hair back into a bun, pin the other bits down, gel it, then use, on one time i think we topped it at, 3 cans of hairspray to make sure it didnt move anywhere during the dancing.
    don't even get me started on the fringe!