Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

what the hell happened to my hair?!?!?!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i've tried to dye my hair black about 4 times now (all with a lot of time between) and it never seems to work. i've tried different kinds every time and it always turns out a weird color (that's not black). this time when i did it it turned out to be a midnight blue color. i don't know why this keeps happening to me since i bleach it every time beforehand. any help?

Comments

• Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    My hair is dyed blue-black and never goes blue, so I am really jealous!!

My theory is that your hair is blue because when you bleach it you take all the red pigment out of your hair. Only south-east asian black hair is really blue based (Japanese hair for instance), most other black hair is just really really dark brown.

So by bleaching it, you risk it fading really quickly for one thing, and you don't get that really deep base colour to build on. That said, it may be the dye you are using - a vegetable dye that stains your hair might be the way to go.
  • Options
    its definatly because your bleaching your hair first. Theres no need to bleach if your going black
  • Options
    I use Loréal's Castings 'natural dark brown' on my naturally medium brown hair and it comes out black - it's also brilliant because it doesn't leave brown roots, cos it's a semi-perm.

Stop bleaching your hair, let it grow out and then use Castings!!!

Ilora x
  • Options
    no bleaching,that is what is doing it.i dyed mine black yesterday and it was an actual black,but came out with a somewhat blueish tint and since my hair has a natural red tint,got some red in it too,looks really pretty,but you can tell it is dyed cause of the tints.so next time you try to dye it black,don't bleach it
  • Options
    man, i was always told that if you want a really dark black then you gotta bleach it first. i guess next time i won't. what a bummer i didn't know this before cause now i'm gonna hafta wait forever for it to all grow out......
  • Options
    Re: what the hell happened to my hair?!?!?!
    Originally posted by wickedXmad
    i've tried to dye my hair black about 4 times now (all with a lot of time between) and it never seems to work. i've tried different kinds every time and it always turns out a weird color (that's not black). this time when i did it it turned out to be a midnight blue color. i don't know why this keeps happening to me since i bleach it every time beforehand. any help?

oh my god! you bleach it everytime and you still have hair? :eek:

oh, and that 100% colour stuff is good btw...really long lasting imo
  • Options
    i've been bleaching it over a period of a few years, not all at once. altho i did start to loose some of my hair about a year ago. that might have been due to stress but i'm pretty sure it was cause of dyeing/bleaching it so much. i'm totally addicted to having different hair colors :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by wickedXmad
    i'm totally addicted to having different hair colors :)

i know exactly what you mean,now that i have dyed it black,i have had every color on my hair,i love changing all the time:D
  • Options
    i like having at least 3 different colours in my hair at once.only colour i havent tried is green
  • Options
    i've never done yellow (tho it did turn kinda yellow one time when i bleached it) i think besides that i have had pretty much every color :) i fixed the problem of having a dark blue color that i didn't like by dying over it with purple! it looks so good now! kinda like a sunset :)
  • Options
    glad ur happy with it now:D