Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Cbt

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Cognitive behavioural therapy. I've been reading up on it, (read thesite's pages, v.useful) and thinking about maybe seeing my GP and trying to get a referral for it. I'm just worried because I tend to get very defensive, and I can't explain how I feel, thus get confused, thus angry/upset.I did a search and only one old thread with 2 posts came up, so was wondering what people experiences of it are?

Comments

• Options
    that i'm currently on the 6-12 month long waiting list. or, if expressed in a smiley: :mad:

it helps me quite a bit with my phobia, but i didn't find it at all helpful for anything else. so yeah, for anxiety i'd recommend it, but it does depend on your therapist. and it is hard work.
  • Options
    Thanks :) I'm weighing up the possibilities of stuff to do to help stuff, but I'm an impatient person, and gutless and would have prolly bottled out by 6-12 months.
  • Options
    There are lots of different therapies, your doctor will refer you to the Mental Health NHS Trust and they will decide what you should do. Possibly.

I was quoted a 18-month wait in Newcastle for therapy, but because I was o young they rahn around and found me a place in Durham after only about 2 months. I was fucking lucky. It's done me a lot of good though.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies :) Guess my next step is to see my GP and see if i can get a referral for some form of therapy.Or something.
  • Options
    I've been told that CBT is something that would probably help me with some of my problems. Have asked about it in both my university city and my home town and neither have very good resources for it. Once I get back to university I'm going to get on the waiting list there if I can.
    I think it sounds like it could be very helpful. Sorry that's not much use I know!