Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

C of E to relax rules on marriage

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Options
    I don't believe non-believers should even be allowed to have Christmas off work, let alone marry in a church.
  • Options
    Even though some churches are undboutedly beautiful and provide a great venue for a wedding I would never choose to get married in a church due to my convinctions.

I don't think non-believers should be barred from doing so. Like GWSP has said believers should never find themselves unable to book the church of their choice because it has been fully booked and some of those bookings are from non-believers. But as long as everyone can be acommodated, I don't see why the church should not try to attrack new 'customers', even if for a day only.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    I would never choose to get married in a church due to my convinctions.

Drug possession shouldn't be an issue, surely? :)

GWST, when we got married we told the vicar that my wife was still living at home. Thus avoiding the problem you mention.
  • Options
    Sorry, my spelling skills are today a bit low after 9 days of sun, sand and sangria... ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Even though some churches are undboutedly beautiful and provide a great venue for a wedding I would never choose to get married in a church due to my convinctions.

Those are my sentiments exactly. A church is a place of Christian worship and to marry there would mock other people's beliefs.
  • Options
    I have to say (being a practicing christian) that I'm not sure I'd feel all that mocked with some people wanting to marry in a church because it's pretty.

What does irritate me is people who say they are christians insisting on marrying in a church and having no intention of taking it seriously.

I have no problems with those who go into it with eyes wide open and no pretentions. But people who pretend that it's important and yet it has no basis in the rest of their life drives me wild.

I think it's a lovely idea that people can marry wherever they want. That means (potentially) I could get married in st bostolphs in boston (Lincs), or anywhere else to follow a family tradition.

But people who have the big white wedding and have to have it in a church so that can have the blessing of God, when they've never asked for it before, and will never ask for it again. I think it's a bit wrong.

Though many people will find it hard to tell where my line of crossing actualy is through my amazing ability to articulate myself :chin:
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    Those are my sentiments exactly. A church is a place of Christian worship and to marry there would mock other people's beliefs.

Can't you only get married in Christian church if you've been baptized? And if you're baptized then the assumption is placed that you have christian beliefs? I'm unsure... About as unsure as I am bored on this Tuesday night.
  • Options
    Well I don't understand why somebody would want to tie the knot in front of God if they don't believe in him. The same with people celebrating Christmas... damn... there are several religions out there with festivals, so why does everybody bum Christmas? If you're an atheist why not celebrate this and that from a mixture of religions?

The Church is a house of God (unless you read the Nag hammadi texts ;) )... so personally, I don't see why people should be allowed to marry in a religious building for the sake of it being 'pretty' or 'tradional' or 'romantic'. I mean go to an office.