Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

My friends period

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well the problem is when shes on her period shes always got a terrible stomach ache and it hurts her like hell.

Is this normal? I really dont think it is.

Does anyone know how it can be helped?

thanx

Comments

• Options
    its quite normal to get bad period pains! sometimes i get a constant headache, feel sick and faint and very sharp pains too.
    perhaps she could visit the doctor and ask about the pill. in the meantime just tell her to take painkillers and use a hot water bottle on her tummy.

has she been having periods for long? mine were much worse when i was younger. perhaps the pill did regulate them for me because its only sometimes i get really bad ones.
  • Options
    Re: My friends period
    Originally posted by RudeBwoy
    Well the problem is when shes on her period shes always got a terrible stomach ache and it hurts her like hell.

Is this normal? I really dont think it is.

Does anyone know how it can be helped?

thanx

Of course period pains are normal. Thats why theyve got a special name - period pains!!!
    basically, when the uterus is trying to expell the blood, it contracts, and that is painful. the same thing as when a woman is in labour, except not as bad obviously. It is usually worse for the first few years of having periods. Mine used to make me faint and go dizzy they were so painful, but they got a lot better as i got older.
    There are plenty of painkillers that are very effective, but sometimes its nicest to just curl up into a ball with a hot water bottle and wait for them to go away.
  • Options
    Oh tell me about it, ~*STRESSED*~

The men in my life are very fond of telling me that "it's nothing", "stop moaning"...then again they're also of the opinion that childbirth's "not that bad". Not that I can speak from experience, but it obviously hurts like HELL...and these are little twits who squeal about jamming their fingers, pulling off plasters etc.

Anyway, on topic, I think all girls/women experience period pains. I also used to have excruciating pains, they had me doubled over, often they kept me awake for entire nights. I was on the pill for a while, and it helped. Now when I (only ocassionally) get those pains, I curl up with a hot water bottle (as suggested before) and I find that eating healthily before and during my period does help...as tempting as it is to eat choccies. Painkillers directed at period pain and discomfort do help...I've used Ibufem and Feminax in the past, and they've both been very effective. They available over the counter, along with a variety of others I would guess.

Hope she feels better soon, it's not a nice problem to have :(
  • Options
    i was on ibuprofen for my knee during my last period and it was loads lighter than usual. weird.

although it did stop period pains
  • Options
    Varies between girls-I got really heavy painful first couple of days but since i went on the pill they are so much easier to deal with. I used to get nausea and upset stomaches on the first days so I had period pain and stomach pain-grr!

However, like stressed said-tell her to go to docs if they get unbearable-at the very least she can get free painkillers that way! My poor best mate is ill with very severe pcos so she really does have bad period pain yet all the doctors-even female ones assume its just her havin low pain tolerance.

Anyways-its nice to see a guy concerned for once-good on ya and hope she can find something to help her not suffer too much
  • Options
    For some of you who think i dont understand about period pains your right, but i dont mean im not concerned.

She has them really made and most of the time she will want to sit down and get up again. Also she cant keep still for too long. I will talk to her and advice her to see the doctor or at least get some painkillers and sleep with a hot water bottle.

I dont know what her reaction to the pill would be, but i think she would be ok to go on the pill because shes 18 on friday and not planning on a kid just yet.

I dont know how long shes been having periods for iv only known her for 2 years, sorry.

OH P.S another thing, sometimes her periods come on late or early and they can sometimes be irregular. Is this a problem? Shes not having sex or anything and the last time she did have unprotected sex was about 6 months ago.

Thanks for the replys so far.
  • Options
    PMS

Some people have worse symptoms than others, but if they are really bad it may be worth her checking it out with her doctor in case there's a bigger problem.
    :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by spanner
    PMS

Some people have worse symptoms than others, but if they are really bad it may be worth her checking it out with her doctor in case there's a bigger problem.
    :)

Thanks iv read that article and pass some of the advice on to her :)