Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Michael Moore

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I saw Fahrenheit 9/11 and I thought it was entertaining but very biased and sometimes just full of crap. What do you guys think?

Moore probably has some good points but its clouded by bullshit and manipulation of facts, he omits so many things to make a point and adds stupid "funny" music. He also edits out 2 second soundbites from 30 minute speeches to make people look stupid which is annoying.

For example in his new film he ridicules the Coalition in Iraq for being made up solely of crappy small countries; he completely misses out the fact that the UK, Italy, Spain, Poland and Portugal all went to war. He prefers to ridicule small countries like Holland (he shows a picture of a guy smoking up as he announces the name), Papua New guinea (he shows picture of a peasant on a cart), Morroco (a picture of hundreds of monkeys with the comment "apparently Morroco sent 300 MONKEYS to war!" :rolleyes: ).

In my opinion Bush is manipulative with the truth and has some sinister business connections.

But Michael Moore is cleverer than Bush and is even more manipulative with the truth and he's now a multimillionaire - to be honest I prefer Bush as a person, Moore is so full of himself and a lot of the time full of shit.

Comments

• Options
    Yeah it may be biased. All news and documentary is biased. But at least its bias from the left for a change.
    I'll reserve any other comment until I've actually seen it.
  • Options
    Yeah that is true, all news is biased. But Moore's film is ridiculous, imagine the amount of bias and crap that FOX news spews out - well its even more than that, except from the left.
  • Options
    As I said - I'll reserve any further comment until I've seen it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by groovechampion
    Yeah that is true, all news is biased. But Moore's film is ridiculous, imagine the amount of bias and crap that FOX news spews out - well its even more than that, except from the left.

I guess it is because The United States needs something with a left wing Bias. All of the media over there is Neo-Conservative.

I havnt seen the film yet It isnt showing in my fecking town the bastards so im going to have to go elsewhere so I cant say anything

I am 6 pages into 'Dude, Wheres My Country?' though
  • Options
    hmm he raises some good issues but he goes about it in all the wrong way, no wonder the left or non neo conservatives dont get a chance in america if all they rely upon is stupid mud slinging
  • Options
    Well after reading his books and Bowling for Columbine he is my personal champion of the under dog.
    I'd like to see the latest film though before I judge it.
  • Options
    i can't wait to see it!
    of course it's biased ya bozo ...it's fucking politics!
  • Options
    Aww diddums, did Micheal Moore bend the truth to fit his agenda? Nasty man *slaps wrist*

He's as biased as Ann Coulter, it just depends which bias you would rather hear.
  • Options
    Just for a change I'd like to hear some left wing bias :p

Plus I want to see him make Bush look like a tosspot
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    Plus I want to see him make Bush look like a tosspot

and he does. completely. it was always going to be a hugely biased film. it was advertised like that. however, i would be surprised if alot of what was said wasn't true.

eta: i actually really enjoyed the film too and would highly recommend it. however, if you are pro-bush then i wouldnt advise it. you will leave very angry.
  • Options
    Yes it was always going to be biased, but a documentary maker should at least try to limit his bias and make sensible points instead of using stupid banjo music and pictures of cowboys.

He also twists the facts as I said and in some cases lies, such as when he claims that the coalition consisted only of tiny insignificant countries. He lists the countries in the coalition but leaves out the 10 biggest ones, including the UK.

He makes bush look like a moron (some would say not very hard to do) but he makes himself look like a moron too with his crap populist pseudo-documentary.
  • Options
    All documentaries twist the facts to fit the agenda. It's why documentary makers do.

Aprt from the UK and the USA, the coalition DID consist of nothing countries. Holland and Spain are not exactly major world powers, and haven't been for 350 years.
  • Options
    If a documentary twists the truth and actively misses out relevant facts to make a tenuous point - its a crap documentary. Its the kind of thing one expects from people like Channel 5. Moore's film goes beyond this however, his pseudo-documentary is verging on propaganda.

The point I was making was not that spain, Italy, Poland, the Uk and the netherlands are in fact world powers, I was pointing out that Moore doesnt mention them AT ALL in his list. He claims that the coalition was made up by "monkeys from Morroco" and peasants from papua new guniea. Illustrated with silly music and newsreel footage of peasants, monkeys and a vampire (to illustrate romanias contribution). Hes full of crap.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Aww diddums, did Micheal Moore bend the truth to fit his agenda? Nasty man *slaps wrist*

He's as biased as Ann Coulter, it just depends which bias you would rather hear.

Yeah he is. Id rather hear neither of them, theyre both full of crap.
  • Options
    How hypocritical in that he is trying to illustrate what he believes to be a bunch of lies that lead us to war with a bunch of lies to do it with.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Rocksteady
    How hypocritical in that he is trying to illustrate what he believes to be a bunch of lies that lead us to war with a bunch of lies to do it with.

He hasn't lied. He just failed to include facts.

It's not the same thing.
  • Options
    u culd say the same about how hitler lowered unemployment forgetting to include how those in groups he didnt liek were included, and how he reintroduced conscription
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    u culd say the same about how hitler lowered unemployment forgetting to include how those in groups he didnt liek were included, and how he reintroduced conscription

You could.

He still lowered unemployment.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    He hasn't lied. He just failed to include facts.

It's not the same thing.

Well sometimes he verges on lying.

He says "so who was in this mighty coalition then?"

Then doesn't answer his own question truthfully, he only gives half the answer when he knows the other half is extremely relevant and disproves his point.

Bush and Blair are no more liars than Micky Moore.
  • Options

Is the outcome of the film a war?

If not, then I think I could argue your point quite easily.

Yes, Michael Moore's films are biased. He's polemic in his approach and will happily admit as much. But as an individual I believe that I have the responsibility to weight his comments up alongside those alternative to form my own opinions.

I do believe that much of what he says adds value to the discussions and his films are of huge value in the US where the media is particularly biased - as is much of the written media over here. WHat I found particulalry interesting was The Sun's "dissection" of the points he raised in his film. Very limited complaints they raised...
  • Options
    Well sometimes he verges on lying.

He says "so who was in this mighty coalition then?"

Then doesn't answer his own question truthfully, he only gives half the answer when he knows the other half is extremely relevant and disproves his point.

No, he is biased. It's not the same thing, and anyone watching a Michael Moore film thinking it was the undiluted truth is a fool.

ALL documentary makers use the same tactics. If a news team wants a story about, say, childhood drug taking, they will pay children some money to read a script. And people lap this up as "news".

Watch Drop the Dead Donkey and Yes, Minister, and see what I mean. They might be comedy programmes, but they are very accurate.
  • Options
    Michael Moore isn't anything more than a propagandist. He puts Goebbels to shame.

I don't have time for him to be honest.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tim Bacon
    Michael Moore isn't anything more than a propagandist. He puts Goebbels to shame.

I don't have time for him to be honest.

Yeah he is, his films are emotive, populist trash. But there could well be a bit of truth behind all his crap.

He`s quite pathetic too sometimes. He wanted a song by the Who to feature in fahrenheit 9/11, he asked Pete Townshend to include it for a small fee, Townshend refused because it was far less than normal. Then Michael Moore proceeded to insult Townshend and call him pro-war in various interviews and articles he wrote. What a nob.