Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

another pill question, sorry

littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
just wondering if anyone has actually experienced any depression as a side effect of taking the pill?

just wanting to know how common a side effect it is.

it is something i am willing to entertain as a cause of my current down-ness. however, i am also willing to believe that it is my depression coming back.

currently confused :confused:

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
  • Options
    Depression can be a side-effect of taking the pill. Many women just can't get on with it at all, and otehrs will find a brandthat works for them. How long have you been taking it? I'd give it a couple of months and if it doesn't subside, go back to your GP and discuss your options. There are lots of different pills, and loads of other types of contraception - it can be a pain trying different things out but you should find something you're happy with eventually.
    If you think your depression is unrelated to the pill then you should also talk to your GP - the quicker you seek help the less it will get you down. You can also try the following organisations:

Careline
    Telephone counselling service for children, young people and adults on any issue, including relationships, depression, mental health, child abuse, bullying, rape and sexual assault, domestic violence, addictions, stress etc.
    Telephone: 020 8875 0500
    www.careline.org.uk

Depression Alliance
    Charity offering information and self-help groups.
    Telephone: 0845 123 23 20; www.depall.org
    The helpline is charged at a local rate and will automatically put you through to your nearest office.

Hope this helps
    Hannah Spanner x
  • Options
    i have been having problems with the pill and it has been 4 months that i have been on it. however, its only in the last month that i have started to feel down again. i have been on 3 different brands since the start of the year though.

i just want to try and work out if it is "other" things that are causing me to be down again rather than consign myself to being ill like i was before as things are really starting to get to me again and i dont understand as i am quite happy and i am the happiest i have been in a long time with the way my life is going.

if that makes some sort of sense. probably not, it doesnt even make sense to me.
  • Options
    It caused me to feel down :yes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by littlemissy
    i have been having problems with the pill and it has been 4 months that i have been on it. however, its only in the last month that i have started to feel down again. i have been on 3 different brands since the start of the year though.

i just want to try and work out if it is "other" things that are causing me to be down again rather than consign myself to being ill like i was before as things are really starting to get to me again and i dont understand as i am quite happy and i am the happiest i have been in a long time with the way my life is going.

if that makes some sort of sense. probably not, it doesnt even make sense to me.

Makes sense to me. Maybe because you have been on several it mucks your hormones up a bit?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tweety
    Makes sense to me. Maybe because you have been on several it mucks your hormones up a bit?

maybe. i just wanted to know other peoples experiences as it is a possibility.