Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Are all friends like mine?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Sorry if i do start to rant but i just feel let down again and again by my friends.
They are all obcessed with their boyfriend or girlfriend that anyone else is left out in the cold. But its me they run back to when things turn sour. Recently i split up with my girlfriend and i felt there was only 2 of my friends who were really there for me.

I've felt so lonely because of how they have treated me, often cancelling plans. I understand that spending time with your partner is important but it seems that they are not interested in anyone else.

I have tried to explain all this to them but they say its all in my head, and i just wanted to see what you wise people on here thought. My friend Chris suggested i was just being too sensitive but i don't see it that way.

They often cancel plans and dont seem bothered to talk to me due to their new love interest. Are all friends like this?? Or am i just being silly like they say.

Any second opinions would be great as this is getting me down at the moment.

Comments

• Options
    hey ~*STRESSED*~ what you said is of some use.... glad someone see's my viewpoint :) Just wish my friends could. Even when i went out with my ex i always made time for them when they were single.... but when the tables have turned they dont remember how lonely things can be
  • Options
    (just to add me 2 pence!) When I first got with my bloke, my friends turned on me cause they didn't like him. I remained best mates with one of them, who then got a girlfriend and started cancelling on me at the last minute and when I spent time with him he'd seem disinterested and ask how much longer this time together would take cause he wanted to see his girlfriend, then told me I was in a self involved relationship!! When I split with this ex, I was pretty much on my own, most my friends were fairly useless and all in their own little couples. I think it's the same in most groups...just look after yourself and try to arrange for group outings and stuff...that was fairly useless sorry!! You're not over sensitive- you should be able to rely on friends to help you to your feet as you would in their time of need, but its as people tend to go im afraid xx
  • Options
    Im in exactly the same position as you mate so this thread would do me some good too.

Its because were single you see, takes the piss.
  • Options
    certainly does take the piss! Just wish my friends would realise that life does extend further than their love interest...... Are all friends like this? I'd like to think that even with the perfect girl i would always be there for my friends but it seems like this isnt the same for others

Thanks for all the comments so far.... any suggestions on what to do in this situation would be great for me and also RudeBwoy...Hope all friends aint like this.
  • Options
    Also because were single and our friends have got a bf/gf they think were are ok with it and were happy but secretly were not.

Maybe you could let the better friends know how you feel?

I tried this with my best girl mate, she started seeing a guy and our relashipship was droppings fast so i told her whats going on and now were getting on great again.
  • Options
    My mates were like that, and I was annoyed so I started hanging around with these girls and then I ended up with one. Blessing in disguise or what? Anyway, I know exactly what you mean but unfortunately I think it's just something that happens. I still like to see my friends but I can't because they're all on holiday!!!
  • Options
    Although I've never been in this situation, I do agree with you about the dropping plans bit. I get really annoyed at people dropping plans at the last minute because something 'better' comes along :mad: It's really inconsiderate and selfish... you should always stick with original plans, unless something really important like a funeral comes up :yes:
  • Options
    I'm im a very similar position, my two best friends are dating, and they're always together and often cancel on me to be alone. It makes me feel very lonely. Just the other day they were supposed to come round and stopped for a few hours to have sex in a field :eek2: and didnt bother to tell me. :(
  • Options
    It'll be a different story when it is you who has the partner!