Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Favourite magazines

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
You walk into a newsagents/bookstore...
which magazine do you buy?

My favourites include:
Nylon
I-D
Marie Claire
OK! [hahah, the shame]
& Vogue of course

I'm sure there's loads more, I'm such a mag-whore. But I'm usually too poor to buy the more expensive ones.

I used to buy Cosmo ALL the time when I was younger, but I've decided I don't like it anymore.

Comments

• Options
    I think all fashion and womens magazines of the like are filled with nothing but filth and mind numbing crap. I've never seen anything in one *ever* even mildly interesting. I wish the people who made those maginzes would die a slow horrible death. Half of it is filled with nothing but adds anyway. Is it really so neat to learn how to please your man from a list of 25 things? Or find out if a celebrity couple is real or are having relationship troubles? Its worse than E! TV :(
  • Options
    Re: Favourite magazines

The only one of the glossies that I'll buy is Marie Claire, because it seems to have a little bit more substance than tack like Cosmo. I like the human interest stories they have, and especially the fact that they focus on a lot of a charities and issues that are important to me. That said, I don't make a habit of buying even it. They're an incredible waste of money, a rare commodity for me :)

The mags I have a real problem with are things like Closer, Heat, New and all those other ones that spring up every week...heinous spawn of the Beano...oh sorry, TheSun. Shouldn't discredit the Beano like that eh!? I find it really sickening that they can fill entire double page spreads talking about the misfortunes of these poor sods from soaps and the (microscopic) cellulite on the thighs of some non-entity like Jodie Marsh. It's drivel...and I wouldn't even read it over someone's shoulder on the bus.
  • Options
    The ads are the best part I think!
    I love them. Perhaps this is why I keep buying these magazines. Ads galore.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Lexxie*
    The ads are the best part I think!
    I love them. Perhaps this is why I keep buying these magazines. Ads galore.
    :crazyeyes :eek2:
    youre kidding right?
    thats like saying your favourite part about the internet is all the pop-ups and spam mail.
  • Options
    i love Marie Claire, and More, And then my Surf mags :eek2:
  • Options
    I used to read Cosmo relatively recently till the did a story about Poly-drug use which I though amoung the most dangerous articles I have ever read in my life.

That and its just pap.

I quite like Private Eye, but that hasnt got a massive amount of fashion in it.
  • Options
    For fashion:

Nylon (I always buy this), Sleaze, Flux, Harpers, Vogue, Drapers....
  • Options
    Nylon? I've never even heard of that one.

I used to get Fashion TV on cable, but they took it away for some reason, I miss it, it was good seeing all the catwalk shows.
  • Options
    I don't read fashion mags. I like the Economist though :)
  • Options
    I quite like that too, but I dont buy it that often, when I do I'll sit there and read the whole thing through thinking how smart I am and how this is bettering me as a person.

Then I dont buy it again for 4 months.
  • Options
    cosmo, marie-claire and more

occasionaly i buy others like heat or now or new or closer :yes:
  • Options
    God I hate Heat;

'Heres so-and-so getting out of a car'

'Heres such-and-such eating'

'Heres what she ate'

'Expose on such-and-such's shit, what does it say about your life'
  • Options
    Company, New Woman, Cosmopolitan.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    :crazyeyes :eek2:
    youre kidding right?
    thats like saying your favourite part about the internet is all the pop-ups and spam mail.

of course it's not! i don't know what you read - Take a Break? haha ;)
    No, I really like the ads in the more expensive fashion magazines. They're yummy.
  • Options
    More is the best mag :thumb:
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    I quite like that too, but I dont buy it that often, when I do I'll sit there and read the whole thing through thinking how smart I am and how this is bettering me as a person.

Then I dont buy it again for 4 months.

Haha that's exactly what I do with the economist. Makes me believe I'm intelligent and knowledgable of the world economy..yeah right. I only used to buy it so I could copy chunks out of it for my A level economics assignments, it seemed to work.

Other than that..um..magazines..used to buy cosmo when I was a nipper of a teenager, but it's pretty damn shit. Any magazine that tells you to put grapes in your mouth whilst giving a blow-job is having a laugh right? (No offence to anyone whos done that...I'm sure it's great :crazyeyes )

The only magazines I'll buy kinda regularly are Dazed and Confused and Viz. Occasionally Vogue but the amount of adverts piss me off.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Lexxie*
    of course it's not! i don't know what you read - Take a Break? haha ;)
    No, I really like the ads in the more expensive fashion magazines. They're yummy.
    I dont generally buy many mags, and I dont think ive ever bought take a break, thankyou very much :p
    I have got a few mags this month, but thats an exception, I was bought them by my hubby as a treat. Ive got: In style, Elle, Company, Prima, Red.
    Theyre all OK for something to flick through if im really bored, but theyre hardly a riveting read.
  • Options
    I lurve Company and Cosmo. :)

If I want a cheap read I'll go for More! But I think that's like the grown up version of Bliss, really.
  • Options
    a lot of the magazines have websites, I know cosmo do.
    Thats an even cheaper read!!!
  • Options
    I read Q and GQ and occasionly F1 Racing
  • Options
    I read:

Company
    Cosmo
    More
    B
    Glamour
    New Woman
    marie-claire

and think that is it.
  • Options
    Glamour, GQ and I have a subscription to Politics magazine just so I have some background bumph before I go to uni.
  • Options
    I read Company and More, ocassionally I'll buy other ones like Cosmo etc.
  • Options
  • Options
    Read all of them I think.....

nah I read a lot tho of the womens glossies. Haven't heard of this nylon ppl are on about tho!

I like new woman most.

Read company, 19, more and cosmo. Occasionally I read She, marie claire and elle.

Non fashion its kerrang (tho read it at work, its not worth buying anymore) and a couple of film magazines now and then.

Best fashion magazine I read is actually style outta the sunday times. Find its like a mini glossy without the sex and scandal. Oh and you get to read the rest of the magazines with the paper too!
  • Options
    I read 19 whenever I can find it, don't really see it much in the shops tbh.
  • Options
    I only get FHM. If your in to your fashion then FHM Colletions is worth a read.
  • Options
    Elle Girl used to be amazing for DIY fashion tips, rare and independent designers and unusual internet finds. and i'm aware it was aimed at young teenagers, but i always bought it.

but it's become crappy since they started bringing it out more often.

these days i'm getting all old, and i usually read stuff like supermarket magazines (for the recipies :blush: ) and sewing world... hmmm.
  • Options
    When I was younger I used to buy so many magazines But now I don't buy half as many and I don't always buy them regularly. I sometimes read 19 but over the past few months it seems to of disappeared-maybe it's been closed.
    I also buy Q and sometimes Empire magazine. I bought Heat magazine for the first time recently but i will never buy it again.