Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Funky Looking Clothes?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've always been a plain kinda person but I feel like changing that, but not too radically. Just a start so where are the best places to look for funky, fashionable smart clothes. I don't want to look like a punk though, just smart but cool and fashionable. I'm getting my haircut soon so I'm gonna get it looking a bit funky too but I'm not sure where to start. I've got a few ideas from the other threads.

Comments

• Options
    Three of the best places you're gonna find in Glasgow: Open, Urban Outfitters and Diesel. Then down a step there's places like Envy, Topman, Burtons, River Island, USC etc.

Ice are pretty godo too... shame they're extortionate ;[
  • Options
    Oh shit, Cecil Gee should have made it into the top three as well. Well, top four now :/
  • Options
    Yeh, USC are good, and I also like French Connection. :)

Depends how much you can afford really.
  • Options
    Weren't you growing it? Or something? Or was that someone else?...

Anyway, Kiezo mentioned some good places for you to check out, French Connection are sometimes alright but their tops tend to have FCUK splashed all over the front of them.

I went into Topman and they'd started doing some majorly funky tops, some with Disney characters on but a lot of other stuff as well that you want to avoid at all costs. For example, "The perfect women" printed on the front of your t-shirt looks fucking retarded, as does "BEER-MASTER" and "FANCY A FCUK?" - So yes, get stuff.

River Island are getting good with the tops and things now. I liked how many suit jackets/jackets they had which went well with their shirts and t-shirts, but if it's not your look then stay away.
  • Options
    USC and French Connection are alright, but not exactly funky.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kiezo
    USC and French Connection are alright, but not exactly funky.
    True. They're the kinda places that do the occasional 'funky' top or something, but their general outlook is more toned-down.

Topman had some really nice t-shirts when I was shopping up London the other day - they had the right kind of balance between being fashionably retro without looking like totally 80's punk-faced twatish.

I dunno how good the H&M near you is, but again, the one up London had some great stuff in for blokes at a pretty decent price.
  • Options
    Well as I said, I just want to look a little more alive rather than just plain. I don't want to turn into a punk or anything but I will have a look in a few shops. Thanks :thumb:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jazza Bing
    Well as I said, I just want to look a little more alive rather than just plain. I don't want to turn into a punk or anything but I will have a look in a few shops. Thanks :thumb:

To be honest pet, places that lot mentioned are all grand if you're minted, or you get Mum or Dad to pay for you.

I'd recommend Primark, Colors, d12, Eisenegger, Burton or Topman to start off with. :)

Theeeen maybe work your way up onto there - FCUK etc..
  • Options
    Originally posted by ~*STRESSED*~
    I like USC! Lol

I have a store card. :\
  • Options
    Originally posted by 1983
    To be honest pet, places that lot mentioned are all grand if you're minted, or you get Mum or Dad to pay for you.

I'd recommend Primark, Colors, d12, Eisenegger,

They're not exactly funky though, espcially not Primark. Places like D2, USC, French Connection etc.'s stuff tends to subscribe to the 'stonewashed jeans, tight, black long-sleeve top, and white trainers' style.

All the ones I mentioned are pretty affordable, with the exception of Ice. Infact, Urban Outfitters is really affordable.
  • Options
    Infact, Urban Outfitters is really affordable.

The one near me isnt.or at least i wouldnt consider it to be
  • Options
    They're not exactly funky though, espcially not Primark. Places like D2, USC, French Connection etc.'s stuff tends to subscribe to the 'stonewashed jeans, tight, black long-sleeve top, and white trainers' style.

All the ones I mentioned are pretty affordable, with the exception of Ice. Infact, Urban Outfitters is really affordable.

Yeah, but you've got parents who're well minted. You dunno his situation, his parents aren't as well minted as yours who can afford to give you £200 for a pair of denims and an extra bit for your wild coked to the eyeballs as well as pissed as a fart night outs.

He says he doesn't want an extravagant leap from the way he is, he just wants a mild change.

That open place is alright, you can get a tshirt for 20 quid and up that'll show you're making a bit of an effort.
  • Options
    Originally posted by freak
    The one near me isnt.or at least i wouldnt consider it to be

What do you consider affordable then?
    Originally posted by 1983
    Yeah, but you've got parents who're well minted. You dunno his situation, his parents aren't as well minted as yours who can afford to give you £200 for a pair of denims and an extra bit for your wild coked to the eyeballs as well as pissed as a fart night outs.

It doesn't matter if I know his situation or not. Urban Outfitters is the cheapest place you can get 'funky' clothes. The places you named don't do funky. Their stuff sure as fuck isn't anywhere near £200.
    He says he doesn't want an extravagant leap from the way he is, he just wants a mild change.

True, but he's a teenage boy. I think it's pretty safe to assume he shops in places like D2 already.
    That open place is alright, you can get a tshirt for 20 quid and up that'll show you're making a bit of an effort.

In all honesty though, where can you get a funky looking tshirt for cheaper than that? Anything from cheaper places is either plain or has some stupid logo stuck accross the front that the company thinks is cool.
  • Options
    WTF is wrong with good old Marks and Spencers :'(

Blue Harbour ownz :(
  • Options
    http://www.marksandspencer.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Section_Id=5226&Product_Id=1280268

Check out that shit. It's got a pocket on it and everything!
  • Options
    If you get a semi-funky haircut and know how to style it, you'll be halfway there.

I dress funkily, and my entire outfit for an average night out costs less than £100, trainers included.

Seriously, designer shit is waaaay over-rated. In my experience, most girls just laugh at guys who spend hundreds on jeans, shoes etc when there's really pretty much fuck all difference.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bri-namite

Seriously, designer shit is waaaay over-rated. In my experience, most girls just laugh at guys who spend hundreds on jeans, shoes etc when there's really pretty much fuck all difference.

Too right man.

I think AT LEAST a couple of totally extravagant pieces of clothes are okay - you're entitled to splashing out. Not when every bloody thing you own is over £50 :rolleyes:
    In all honesty though, where can you get a funky looking tshirt for cheaper than that? Anything from cheaper places is either plain or has some stupid logo stuck accross the front that the company thinks is cool.

But the difference is - your expectation in clothing will be SO higher compared to his. You've always been around extortionately priced things so if it's not a brand name basically, it's naff. Not saying that's who you are and whatnot, however ever since I've known you that's the way you've came across.

There are plenty of places where he could get tshirts for under £20! Colors, Topman, Burton, FCUK - well..£19.99 maybe :p

But I just think you were saying "Oh, go to Diesel etc, everywhere else is shit!" Not true, I've seen plenty sexxeh tshirts and clothes in high street places, and I'm sure they won't be the only ones I'll see. :)

BTW - Jamie, you'd probably get decent jeans out my work that wouldn't fall apart for like £8! Yanno, those jeans that are totally dirty denim wash type ones.

Also, did you even get anything after all this? :p

I'm just saying it's alright to start off small, and there's no pressure to spend over £200 on ONE item of clothing.
  • Options
    What do you consider affordable then?

t shirt £5-10
    jeans £20-35

have u not considered customising something?u can make it as funky as u want+get it much cheaper!+no1 else will have 1 the same :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by rellort
    http://www.marksandspencer.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Section_Id=5226&Product_Id=1280268

Check out that shit. It's got a pocket on it and everything!

But that's dull :p

BTW - Jamie, you'd probably get decent jeans out my work that wouldn't fall apart for like £8! Yanno, those jeans that are totally dirty denim wash type ones.

You know I might take a wander in, if you see a totally confused 15 year old wandering about, help me out would you? :p

and no, I haven't got into town yet. Most days I just can't be bothered jumping on a bus for the 5 mins into town :/
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jazza Bing
    You know I might take a wander in, if you see a totally confused 15 year old wandering about, help me out would you? :p

If you come in on Sunday, I'm working half 11 - 4! Ask for us and I'll get you kitted out :p
  • Options
    if you want to buy anything like urban outfitters, your best bet is to suck up to someone with a credit card and buy it from a US seller on ebay. or ship it direct from the US.

they inflate their prices about 200 - 300% for the european market. and we pay it, like mugs.