Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

I wonder

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If you go to court and you have to swear on Oath, what would happen if you say your an Agnostic and don't believe in God or the Bible? What about a Muslim? Would they have to swear on the Koran?

Comments

• Options
    They have secular oaths for atheists. If you're a Muslim, you swear on the Koran.
  • Options
    I wondered that too. Do they specifically ask your religion in order to determine which oath you take then?
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    I wondered that too. Do they specifically ask your religion in order to determine which oath you take then?
    no ...you have to refuse to swear on the bible and explain why ...doesn't cause problems as far as i'm aware.
  • Options
    Interesting point, never thought about that.
  • Options
    Whats that thing called where you do not have to give evidence ? All I know is that there is a way you can not have to give evidence and theres nowt they can do, you just say this special thing and thats it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Whats that thing called where you do not have to give evidence ? All I know is that there is a way you can not have to give evidence and theres nowt they can do, you just say this special thing and thats it.
    not sure ...i have refused before and been supeneod to the crown court to explain why to the judge.
    my excuse was that i was a heroin addict and couldn't possibly be relied upon to be unbiased ...tell the truth ...or even remember what the facts actualy were ...got away with that one twice.
  • Options
    Noone is suppose to swear at anytime , neither swear on the things that are above or the things that are on earth.

Bottom line, do not swear at all. This goes for anyone, well if you dont believe in GOD, do what you want. :crazyeyes
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mystery Ridah

do what you want. :crazyeyes
    at the end of the day thats what every one does innit?
    i want to serve god.
    i want to burgle your house.
    at the end of the day everyone does what they want ...called free will.
  • Options

I think in America if your life is in danger you can take the 5th amendment http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/data/constitution/amendment05/
  • Options
    I guess that as Shy Boy suggested you're thinking of America's Fifth Amendment which says that no-one can be forced to say things which would incriminate him or herself in a crime - it's the foundation of the right to silence.

In the USA (as far as I know) it only applies where you would incriminate yourself by giving evidence - otherwise a judge can force you on pain of imprisonment for contempt to answer the questions put to you (even if they are embarassing! - and, actually, if doing so would put your life in danger!)

In the UK the privilege against self-incrimination is well established ... see http://www.11kbw.co.uk/html/articles/selfincrimination.html but not free from some exceptions

And the Human Rights Act means that Article 6 of the European Convention on Human Rights gives a general privilege against self-incrimination, although it is not as strong as the US position.

(end law essay :) )
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mystery Ridah
    Noone is suppose to swear at anytime , neither swear on the things that are above or the things that are on earth.

Bottom line, do not swear at all. This goes for anyone, well if you dont believe in GOD, do what you want. :crazyeyes

Fuck off. :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    They have secular oaths for atheists. If you're a Muslim, you swear on the Koran.

What if you're Pagan? Or Buddist? :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    What if you're Pagan? Or Buddist? :confused:

Dunno.