Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Long(ish) distance relationships.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have recently started going out with a guy called Rob, and I think he's a really nice guy. It's early days yet, but I was wondering, is the distance likely to cause any problems?

I live in Wrexham, and he lives in Birkenhead, ok it's not amazingly far, and there is a train there that takes an hour, but he has things to sort out down his end and I have things to sort out down here. Plus we both don't have much money so it's looking like we're only gonna be able to see each other on a weekend, do you think it'll cause any problems?:confused:

Comments

• Options
    I've recently split up with my G/f of 18 months we were in a similar situation in that she lived about an hours drive or 1 3/4 hours train journey away, it did mean that we mainly only saw each on the weekend, but this was also in part down to the fact that i was also at Uni during the week and to be honest mostly it was ok but there were some problems, Mostly it would be if there was really bad weather and i couldn't drive to hers and the trains looked at risk of being cancelled, the only other problems we had were that due to being at Uni all week and seeing g/f on a weekend if i wanted to do something else on the weekend or just hang out with my buddies then that could cause friction.
    although the problems we had were not exclusivly to do with living some distance apart, i know people who live further apart then me and my Ex did and there still seeing each other, so it can work but i think you just have to work at it a little bit harder thats all
  • Options
    It shouldn't be a problem if you like eachother. Also it depends on both of you; some people can hack seeing their other half only at weekends - some can't.

You won't know unless you give it a try.

I'd invest in a young persons rail card if you don't already have one. :thumb:
  • Options
    yeah i'd second that!!! Railcards very worth it if you haven't already got one! especially if you make alot of journeys
    Everytime i went on the train to see my Ex i'd save £3 with my rail card, thats 2 pints!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Stinger
    yeah i'd second that!!! Railcards very worth it if you haven't already got one! especially if you make alot of journeys
    Everytime i went on the train to see my Ex i'd save £3 with my rail card, thats 2 pints!

I haven't used my rail card, my dad bought me it and it expires in...I think March. Thing is now I have a car I don't really need it. I might just use it anyway, else it's a waste of money.
  • Options
    how much do these rail cards cost and where can i get one from?
  • Options
    you have it fairly easy tbh mate...

its not often i get to see my girlfriend, i saw her at the weekend and now im not gonna be able to see her again till the end of the month and thats only for a few days at the most.

i live in colchester, essex and she is litterally on the otherside of the country in cornwall! with the rail card that alone saves us both 27 quid a trip... money aint really the problem with us though its more time being an issue as she works and has uni etc and i work fulltime nights i only get a few hours off at the weekends.
  • Options
    Originally posted by chaos_insomniac
    take a passposrt photo with you too the train station and 20 quid... fill in the form and they will do it there and then!

simple as! :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Ertrael
    take a passposrt photo with you too the train station and 20 quid... fill in the form and they will do it there and then!

simple as! :D

How much do they save you? roughly.
  • Options
    Originally posted by *TiNK*
    How much do they save you? roughly.
    i think its a third of the total cost to your ticket... my ticket to see rosie would normally be about 60-70 quid but with the railcard its about 50 so it saves me more than it costs even if i use it just once i get more than my money back! :D
  • Options
    whether it causes problems or not will depend on how determned you both are and how much you like eachother.

If you like eachother alot and are willing to put the effort into it then it shouldnt be too hard. Alot of people only see their partners at a weekend. I have been with my boyfriend for over a year and he is a 1 1/2 hour train journey away...and when we first started seeing eachother we were both totally skint. But we made it this far. We even lasted my first year of uni where i was over a 2 hour drive away from him. Im living proof that it can be done!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blah_x2

If you like eachother alot and are willing to put the effort into it then it shouldnt be too hard.

thats so wrong... if you like eachother so much... its a hell of a lot harder! you went to spend all your time with them etc etc

you just learn to deal with it and not make it an issue if the other person means so much to you.. its still there.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Samael
    thats so wrong... if you like eachother so much... its a hell of a lot harder! you went to spend all your time with them etc etc

you just learn to deal with it and not make it an issue if the other person means so much to you.. its still there.

I think u misinterpreted what i meant

I mean if one person was less into the other person, they may think oh why bother and call it off, or be tempted to cheat. Whereas if you like someone alot then your less likely to cheat and mor elikely to want to make it last
    I didnt mean to make it sound like its easy, because its really hard.
  • Options

Not necessarily; if you like eachother enough you'll make it work.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lucifer devil
    Not necessarily; if you like eachother enough you'll make it work.
    i agree with that, but what im saying is that if you like each other that much to make it work, the distance is gonna seem twice as bad.
  • Options
    the distance is gonna seem twice as bad.

All 344 miles of it...*sigh*. But yeah, if it's meant to be, you'll be able to get through it...and seeing them, no matter how far you have to go or how long it takes, is always well worth it.
  • Options
    *gone*
  • Options

If you are aged 16-24 a Young Person's Railcard costs £20 for the year, and saves 1/3 on most rail tickets (some bargain fares do not carry railcard discounts). You can buy one from any staffed railway station- you need a passport photograph and proof of ID.

Railcard website.

As for the question.

If you like the guy enough then distance will be no problem at all- the visit will be worth the money and travelling. Me and trhe missus started off in a LDR, so they can work, it just takes a bit more effort.
  • Options
    Re: Long(ish) distance relationships.
    I have recently started going out with a guy called Rob, and I think he's a really nice guy. It's early days yet, but I was wondering, is the distance likely to cause any problems?

I live in Wrexham, and he lives in Birkenhead, ok it's not amazingly far, and there is a train there that takes an hour, but he has things to sort out down his end and I have things to sort out down here. Plus we both don't have much money so it's looking like we're only gonna be able to see each other on a weekend, do you think it'll cause any problems?:confused:

An hour is fuck all tbh. Go for it.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Originally posted by ~*STRESSED*~
    From my experience, long distance relationships don't work. When my ex went to university we only lasted a short while <sigh> so I don't know about long distance relationships any more.

However, it could be different for you and your boyfriend.

my long distance relationship has worked quite well. we are engaged and set a date for the wedding :)

me and dave were 250 miles away from each other and it all has worked out fine. im not saying that it has been easy but then i dont think any relationship is easy. the hardest part of it is saying goodbye after a really good weekend. but once you get over that little bit you start looking forward to the following weekend/whenever you meet up next.

as long as you are both committed 110% to each other then i personally cant see why you cant just go for it. after all, an hour is nothing imo.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Stinger

It is only £3.40 each way for us to see each other!!

Babe!! Plz dont worry!! It will work!!
  • Options
    Depends on the individual circumstances, but I'm waaaay too insecure to start them long distance thingys I think.

An hour isn't much at all really.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mizz_pink
    All 344 miles of it...*sigh*. But yeah, if it's meant to be, you'll be able to get through it...and seeing them, no matter how far you have to go or how long it takes, is always well worth it.
    :D
    you worked out the total distance? how sweet... it will work, and i agree it will always be worth it. i just wish i didnt work so much so i could see you more :(