Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Pill again

I know this has come up so many times, but I've just left school and am 16 and not sure whether I'm going into college and stuff.. was wondering if I was to go onto the pill, assuming I'd be able to, then how much does it cost exactly..?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i find it quite amusing how ppl think that because they are starting college/uni they need to go on the pill cos omg they will get pregnant :eek:
  • Options
    no the reason i mentioned that was because whilst i was at school i was able to get everythin free from doctors and all that. the fact that iv left school makes no difference what so ever.
  • Options
  • Options
    well, if you go to college, your prescriptions will be free (16,17 or 18 and in full time education), but if not try your local family planning centre - im sure they do it for free, but i may be mistaken!
  • Options
    not soething i really wanna ask my doctor.. will smokin alot of pot or other stuff interfere with takin the pill?
  • Options
    No it wont interfere with it, but they dont advise you smoke when on the pill. Dont make any difference tho, both my sisters and I smoked fags or otherwise when we were on the pill and non of us are preggers.
  • Options
    Its free, and my mate smokes like a bloody chimney and she went through a stage of smokin all sortsa shit, and her pill hasnt failed on her once. lucky bitch.
  • Options
    Smoking and taking the pill isn't a good combination as it means you are more at risk of heart problems, however this risk does increase as you get older and you wouldn't be refused it at your age because you smoke. However, if you are going to go on the pill it's advisable to at least cut down. You will have to go to your doctor's for blood pressure tests at least every six months, too.
    The other thing to remember if you go on the pill is to protect yourself against STIs. If you are in a long-term relationship, you should both go to a GUM clinic to make sure neither of you will be passing on any infections to the other. If you aren't and you are having casual relationships, you will still need to use condoms to ensure you are fully protected.

Hope this helps

:)
  • Options
    Originally posted by spongebobsgirl
    well, if you go to college, your prescriptions will be free (16,17 or 18 and in full time education), but if not try your local family planning centre - im sure they do it for free, but i may be mistaken!

Yes, if you're still in full time education aged 16, 17 or 18 you would still get free prescriptions. However, you will always get the contraceptive pill free on the NHS from your own GP, Family Planning Clinic, GUM clinic etc.