Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Painkillers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I know its the wrong forum but i want answers soon please.

I have a headache i have had all day which i think is to do with my neck/shoulders. Anyway i have take Ibuprofen which normally work wonders but they havent touched it. I know you can take paracetamol aswell but has anyone ever done this? Does it make you dopey or anything? I really need to get rid of this.
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    mailin u
  • Options
    how long ago did you take the ibuprofen? i was once advised by NHS direct to take 2 paracetemol and then 2 ibuprofen 2 hours later. so yeh, take the paracetemol. wont harm you.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lipsy
    how long ago did you take the ibuprofen? i was once advised by NHS direct to take 2 paracetemol and then 2 ibuprofen 2 hours later. so yeh, take the paracetemol. wont harm you.

The second lot about 1/2 hr ago.
  • Options
    my docs been round the smorning and given me morphine ...torn a muscle and trapped a nerve.
    codiene is good if you got strong enough ones ...df 118's ...dihydra ...
  • Options
    Paracetamol and ibruprofen fall into different pain killing groups, so therefore you can take them together. Technically you can take 2X500mg paracetamol and 2x200mg Ibruprofen at exactly the same time.

However, obviously the more types of drugs you take at the same time the harder it is on the body.

Oh and dont take ibruprofen without a little food, its not all that good for the stomach.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda

Oh and dont take ibruprofen without a little food, its not all that good for the stomach.

Actually is best to take on an empty stomach as passes through the gastrointestinal tract faster resulting in faster action. The most harmful effects on the stomach are only caused by drug which has passes out of the stomach and been absorbed into the blood, and even then, the use of ibuprofen is not only unlikely to cause gastric wall damage in healthy people, but far less likely to do so than aspirin.
  • Options
    I was thinking more generally, I'm fine with it but a few people I know cant take it without a little food otherwise they get heart burn.
  • Options
    Just read my previous message - sounds a bit off-hand - sorry! I totally agree about stomach irritation tho - not a nice thing. There's loads of good painkillers, but due to people using them for non-therapeutic means, they are nearly all prescription-only.
  • Options
    Oh for sure, I have found Voltarol an excellent pain killer for headaches etc. in the past, but, well its not an OTC drug.