Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

peely nails

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I guess this is fashion, it could also be in health maybe, but anyways. I am very fond of my nails. Cut and filed, buffed colored, absoutly everything to care of my nails and make them pretty, I do. However the tips of my nail peel off. Like the top layer always starts to come off and then I peel it off or buff it off or whatever. First, if anybody understands what I'm talking about, are there any nail care products or anything I could do to prevent this? Even with nail polish and nail hardener, nail moisturiser, everything else, it still happens. And also, does anybody know what causes this or why it is happening?

Comments

• Options
    I dont know if you do this but never shake the bottle of polish. That makes it bubble on your nails so instead turn the bottle upside down and roll gently between your hands.

so wait....are you meaning your actual nail comes off, the top layer, or is this the nail polish you are talking about??
  • Options
    the actual layer of nail. I just added the polish bit like even having them covered by coaters and polishes doesn't stop the nail from peeling.
  • Options
    since it's the actual nail, I would avoid any nail products that contain formaldehyde. instead...look for ingredients contaning protein(bonds and holds the later of your nail together to prevent peeling), calcium(to help build layers on very thin layers), Kvlar fiber (it acts as a tough shield on nails and it's also the main ingredient used in bullet proff vests), and Teflon (it protects nails from water and chemicals by acting as a barrier)

I always buff my nails when they are weak or peel easily. It helps build your nail stength and increases blood flow to your matrix, which is where your nail growth begins.

from what I know, peeling nails are from frequent exposure to harsh chemicals and detergents. stop using acetone polish removers anmd other culprits. moisturize daily with vitamin E oirl or capsule.

(also, try to avoid using your nails as tools, and dont give in to the temptation to pick off your nail polish. When you pick it off your polish, you might also be pulling off the top layer of your nail)
  • Options
    well i probably do use polish remover far more than i should. are there any brands of nail polish and remover you would recomend?

thanks alot by the way :D
  • Options
    I used to use this polish remover, but since you're a bit skeptical about buying things online, I'll keep an eye out when I go to the grocery store and check out their selection of polish removers and look if they have any non-acetone removers :p

http://store.ceceboutique.com/melscennonac.html

You can also use insect repellent. :thumb: if you can stand the smell :yuck:
  • Options
    nail cream, a good trim, and no nail varnish or nailvarnish remover for a week or so will do wonders...
  • Options
    Sometimes if you're lacking certain vitamins in your body it causes things such as nails to weaken. Look out for hand/nail cream containing vitamin E in it, it may help re-build the strength back to the nail.
  • Options
    Almond oil :thumb: Strengthens nails from what i've heard.