Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Turning down a job

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi people.

Have not been about here for ages now, but thought that somebody here might be able to help me out.

I've been frantically looking for summer work since I got home from uni (have now graduated but am moving back to Edinburgh in September). Today I went into a pub to ask for work and was offered a position as part-time chamber maid in the hotel attached to it.

Thing is, it's only 16 hours a week and £4.50 an hour. And I had already found a job through an agency for 6 weeks in August/September that pays a lot more and has more hours. I was just looking around for something that might start a bit sooner though.

So, I think I should really turn down this job in the hotel - because I don't want to start and then quit after a month ( i hadn't told them about my agency job, or that I am moving back to Edinburgh in September).

So what do you think I should say to them? I am supposed to go back this afternoon to sign all the forms - but I may just phone the manager now.

Any ideas on what to say? I really don't like letting people down.

Comments

• Options
    Phone the manager, explain that you have been offered an August - September contract, paying more with more hours. Would you be interested in working there if they would take you for one month? That might be an option. The best bet is to be clear and honest with the hotel - they'll appreciate it, and it's far better than simply not turning up.
  • Options
    hehe - you just said almost exactly what my mum said, and what i was planning to do but needed a second opinion.

Am going to phone and say that I've had a think about it and really, I need a job with more hours. I'll offer to come in and work for a couple of weeks or so until she finds somebody else if she needs me to, but will say that I don't want to come in and sign all the forms only to let her down by quitting after a few weeks.

Thank you for the advice though - much appreciated!
  • Options
    That's the way to think about it! It might all turn out well in the end and you'll get a couple of weeks to tide yourself over...

Best of luck!