Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

New Relationship?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm going on a first date with a young girl who I like. I've not been on a date for a couple of years so I'm looking forward to it and I feel like a teenager again. I'm a bit apprehensive but no nerves just yet :) Thought I'd let you all know and bring a bit of happiness to the relationships forum as a lot of the posts are regarding relationship problems!

Comments

• Options
    Hope that goes well then. Where are you going?
  • Options
    I want to keep this as anonymous as possible (just incase someone reading this knows her) so I'll just tell you we're planning on going to a local bar, somewhere comfortable (preferably with sofas) so we can relax and chat and hopefully somewhere with a pool table just incase the conversation dries up :) Decided on the bar as opposed to a cafe because I'll need a drink or two to calm my nerves and loosen my tongue a little because I'm a really shy guy.

Writting this has got me thinking - what shall I wear?!?! If I go too smart she may feel under-dressed and uncomfortable but if I go to casual she be disappointed that I've not made an effort :confused:
  • Options
    That's good. You wont make her feel as if she's under-dressed; not unless you go in a suit. It's a bar, so dress how you would usually dress when you go into a bar. Jeans, if you like? A normal pair of shoes - go in trainers if you have a decent-going-out-in-looking pair (not shox). If you want then wear a shirt. Myself, I'd just wear a t-shirt and take a jumper/coat. I'd worry about how I dress when I go to a restaurant - not a pub. And while you don't want her to think you're not trying, you don't want her to think you're trying your hardest either.

If worst comes to the worst, ask her what you should wear. Put on one of those fake "I'm lost and don't know what to do" voices on and she wont think you're a dink. Dress what you feel best in.
  • Options
    yay a happy thread!! i tried one of those not so long ago... made a nice change :)

yay first dates are fun!!! i had one...hmm about a month back, and now I'm with the guy, and he's lurrrvely!

good luck, have fun!
  • Options
    Hope it goes well for you. :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Koenigsegg
    I want to keep this as anonymous as possible (just incase someone reading this knows her) so I'll just tell you we're planning on going to a local bar, somewhere comfortable (preferably with sofas) so we can relax and chat and hopefully somewhere with a pool table just incase the conversation dries up :) Decided on the bar as opposed to a cafe because I'll need a drink or two to calm my nerves and loosen my tongue a little because I'm a really shy guy.

Writting this has got me thinking - what shall I wear?!?! If I go too smart she may feel under-dressed and uncomfortable but if I go to casual she be disappointed that I've not made an effort :confused:

Hmm...you've probably gone on the date by now, so how did it go?
    and if you havent yet, then i can recommend a nice pair of jeans, shoes, and a smart jumper or long sleeved top is a good ensemble for a 1st date...
  • Options
    The date didn't take place. I got a txt from the girl the evening before telling me that she had to go to an important meeting at her school tomorrow evening. I was disappointed but didn't want to kick off. When we were planning the date it was a toss up between Tues and Wed so I txt her back and said something like "Fair enough. R u still free 2moro eve" she txt back saying "Not sure cos I may have to do a window display at work and it's student night so it'll be busy in town". I thought I was being stood up so didn't bother replying. Then she txt me a couple of hours later saying "R u mad at me" I replied "No, I'm not mad at you, just a little disappointed and wondering if I should be taking the hint as this is the 2nd time you've postponed". She replied saying she "was really sorry and didn't want me to take it that way". Game on :) Since then we've been txting and I've seen her at work for a chat and it appears that all is going well. I just hope that we can finally get together next Tues, if not I'll go mad! :)
  • Options
    Try not to take it the wrong that that she's had to postpone, she sounds genuninely sorry!

Hope it goes well when you do meet. (:
  • Options
    Good luck for when it happens :)
  • Options
    Been on the date & it was OK. Not great, but not bad either and as I've not been on a date for years previous to this I think I'd give it 7.5/10. There were no embarrassing long silences, we got along well, we had a laugh, although we do seem to have few things in common apart from our love of shopping and drinking. She wants to go out with me again so that's a plus. Hmm, wondering where, if anywhere, this will lead...

BTW We didn't do anything other than chat ;)