Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

H&m

My mrs was buying something there recently and she noticed that it was made in Cambodia. She made the choice not to buy the product because of the probable conditions it was made under.

Do you look at where things are made and are there any countries you dont buy products from?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    no, because since major clothing production was forced out of britain, the vast majority of clothes are made under the conditions you describe. I can't afford to be that fussy.

i'd say it's ok, cause i make a lot of my own clothes, but tbh, most fabrics are made by factories in poorer countries too.

and shoes definitely are too.
  • Options
    Its a mixed blessing though isnt it, if you look at some of the factories in the Far East they are actually much better in terms of wages and conditions than the people would get elsewhere. Nike for example is said to be making more efforts than most.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Its a mixed blessing though isnt it, if you look at some of the factories in the Far East they are actually much better in terms of wages and conditions than the people would get elsewhere. Nike for example is said to be making more efforts than most.

that is true.

30p an hour sounds horrific to us, but for someone in a country like, say, cambodia, that might be enough to feed and house a whole family. a lot of the larger clothing factories also provide housing for their workers, so it can be a comparitively cushy job.

and compare it to the £4.50 p/h minimum wage they'd have to pay british staff and you can see how much the company will save. if all production moved back to the west, you would see clothing prices shoot through the roof.
  • Options
    Well quite, I think my mrs objection to Cambodia was more the fact that their government does all kinds of nasty things. But then theres many governments who do that.
  • Options
    Well quite, I think my mrs objection to Cambodia was more the fact that their government does all kinds of nasty things. But then theres many governments who do that.
    Precisely. On a purely practical level I can't afford to be that fussy. I'd love to buy all my clothes from People Tree but I don't have that kind of cash.

And boycotting the stores won't help anyway, if they're forced to close their factories the workers will lose their job and their wage.
  • Options
    It doesnt work like that though, Nike is a good example, there was a lot of outcry and negative comment about the conditions of workers which made their shoes. They lost business because of it, so they were forced to change.
  • Options
    It doesnt work like that though, Nike is a good example, there was a lot of outcry and negative comment about the conditions of workers which made their shoes. They lost business because of it, so they were forced to change.
    Yes that's true, but C&A also lost business and were forced to close (in England) partly as a direct result, so it can go either way.
  • Options
    And of course there is the arguement that perhaps the world can not support the developing countries actually developing, we dont have the resources.

So, it is in our and the Earths interest to make sure that they dont.

Of course this is a very Westernised, cruel and heartless way of looking at it though because it doesnt take into account the daily misery of living in some developing countries.
  • Options
    And of course there is the arguement that perhaps the world can not support the developing countries actually developing, we dont have the resources.
    That wasn't my point! I meant that when C&A were forced to close, surely their production dropped - leading to massive job losses?
  • Options
    I wasnt really refering to your point, I was just rambling, I do that, its a sign of my age. Sorry.