Home Travel & Free Time

I want to learn guitar ffs.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
Didn't know where to post this, but I want to learn guitar.

Only problem is, I need to do research first and the only thing that's really driving me is how much the pwn all other sounds known to man. So, if anyone would like to give me some information I would much appreciate it. Also, I don't want to learn how to play the girly guitar that the scout masters play when they go camping in the forests, I want to know how to play the big beefy thing.

Any info appreciated.

I'll let you know how it goes in 6 months or so.

Thanks.

Tom

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Check out Sound Control. IMO the best instrument shop around. For beginners I wouldn't recommend going head-on into it and getting a £700 Yamaha or something. Sound Control do beginners packs like this B.C Rich Warlock. I'd go for something like that 'cause you get the amp and everything you need for a decent price. Plus it's such a kickass geeetar ;o

    For effects, I'd get something like this.
    It gives a wide range of decent effects, and I' pretty sure it can also be used as a tuner.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    your best bet is to buy a package that includes a guitar and amp. although usually a crap amp it will probably set u back about £150-£200. Most amps have distortion built into them now, so you don't really need an effects unit until you progress.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You've both put me right in the nüb seat. What exactly are the effects and what do they do? And also, are there any specifications that I should look for in a decent first guitar?

    Thanks for the replies so far.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Capacity
    You've both put me right in the nüb seat. What exactly are the effects and what do they do? And also, are there any specifications that I should look for in a decent first guitar?

    Thanks for the replies so far.

    A guitar without any effetcs just basically sounds like an acoustic guiter being playing, only electrified and coing through an amp. Any guitar that doesn't sound like this uses effects, which can be switched on and off using a pedal. There are literally thousands of different effects, and they all change the pitch/tone and length of the note being played. For instance, a effectless gair chord might make a "Doooooooowwwww" sound. But the same chord played using an effect might sound like "Waaaaaaaahhhh"

    The B.C Rich guitar that I linked above is the one that I have. B.C Rich are well renowned guitar makers but they're mostly made to be tuned down to lower tuning, like Drop D or even Drop A. this is becuase they're mostly metal guitars, the likes of Slayer use them. So if you're wantignt o play heavier music on it, i'd recommend that. If not, make sure that guitar has good pick-ups. All these basically do is pick up the note being played and amplify it.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    the warlock is a vile guitar to play. its really uncomfortable and has a crap tone IMO. i much prefer my Les Paul Gothic :D
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by sprocket
    the warlock is a vile guitar to play. its really uncomfortable and has a crap tone IMO. i much prefer my Les Paul Gothic :D

    It sucks to play sitting down, but it's fine when standing. Is the Gothic version just the black one?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by RiSe & ShIne
    Is the Gothic version just the black one?

    its matt black with "XII" on the 12th and this cool gothic cross on the headstock
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yamaha Pacificas are great beginner guitars. They're really versatile and quite high quality, for the price anyway.

    Effects are a bit hard to describe. The best bet would be to go to the Boss website and muck about with the interactive section. You probably won't need any effects except for a bit of overdrive/distortion anyway.

    A decent teacher would be a big plus for learning but there are tons of decent books that can help you get started. I'd recommend Guthrie Govan's books to any guitarist who wants to play lead.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Personally, if i was a beginner all over again, I'd just go to your local music shop, or even Argos or something and pick up a cheap Peavey or Squire guitar and amp set....yeah, theyre bottom of the line, but theyre perfect to learn on ...they dont cost anywhere near as much as a lot of other guitar makes, theyre not bad quality, and basically, if you buy one and decide you dont wanna be a guitarist in the end, then you havent wasted a fortune basically.

    So, go to Argos...look for guitars and buy one of the guitar/amp sets...as a beginner you dont want to get into anything more complicated (such as effects units, pedals, different amps, etc) than "this guitar....this amp....make noise" right now.

    Good Luck

    Peace
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thanks for the replies.

    So shine, does that mean that the guitar playing in a song such as "take me out" by Franz F. where the guitar is quite deep could be played in a similar way as a song such as "love is only a feeling" by the darkness where the guitar is quite high and the only difference would be the effects used? Sorry if that's a useless example of songs.

    If I were to become jimi hendrix tomorrow, I'd want a guitar that would be better suited for less heavy, high pitched screechy music - So how would a beginners guitar for this differ from a beginners guitar from heavy music (just so I know what I'm looking for)?

    Another núb question: Wtf is an amp and what is its purpose? It's one of those things I've heard of since I've been like 7 but have never bothered to ask incase someone laughed at my ignorance; as you get older that becomes more and more likely and I'd hate to retire in 50 years time not knowing what an amp is.

    Infinite: I plan on getting someone to teach me who has a good reputation. Thanks

    Thanks for all the replies.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by AlmightyBob
    Personally, if i was a beginner all over again, I'd just go to your local music shop, or even Argos or something and pick up a cheap Peavey or Squire guitar and amp set....yeah, theyre bottom of the line, but theyre perfect to learn on ...they dont cost anywhere near as much as a lot of other guitar makes, theyre not bad quality, and basically, if you buy one and decide you dont wanna be a guitarist in the end, then you havent wasted a fortune basically.

    So, go to Argos...look for guitars and buy one of the guitar/amp sets...as a beginner you dont want to get into anything more complicated (such as effects units, pedals, different amps, etc) than "this guitar....this amp....make noise" right now.

    Good Luck

    Peace

    For once, I have an Argos catalogue. I'll have a quick browse and consider. Thanks for the advice.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Capacity
    Thanks for the replies.

    So shine, does that mean that the guitar playing in a song such as "take me out" by Franz F. where the guitar is quite deep could be played in a similar way as a song such as "love is only a feeling" by the darkness where the guitar is quite high and the only difference would be the effects used? Sorry if that's a useless example of songs.


    Yep, that and the tuning. If you tune a guitar down, it will have a heavier, lower sound. High tuning will give the guitar a high(er) pitched sound.

    An amp is this:large_1.1.1.3.1.1-17-33-111.jpg

    You plug the guitar into it and it effectivelt becomes a speaker for the guitar.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Capacity

    If I were to become jimi hendrix tomorrow, I'd want a guitar that would be better suited for less heavy, high pitched screechy music - So how would a beginners guitar for this differ from a beginners guitar from heavy music (just so I know what I'm looking for)?

    A guitar like the yamaha pacifica or a squier fat strat should, in theory, be able to do both types of music.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Capacity



    If I were to become jimi hendrix tomorrow, I'd want a guitar that would be better suited for less heavy, high pitched screechy music - So how would a beginners guitar for this differ from a beginners guitar from heavy music (just so I know what I'm looking for)?


    its mostly the amp and effects you use more than the type of guitar which make your sound "heavy" or not. B.C Rich guitars are considered "heavy" guitars as a result of the bands that use them such as slayer. you can play a nice ballad perfectly well on a warlock as i'm sure rise & shine does on his :p
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by sprocket
    its mostly the amp and effects you use more than the type of guitar which make your sound "heavy" or not. B.C Rich guitars are considered "heavy" guitars as a result of the bands that use them such as slayer. you can play a nice ballad perfectly well on a warlock as i'm sure rise & shine does on his :p

    Ballad? Me? :o

    The above is true, it's just that some guitars aren't good for tuning down, they.....well, I dunno, they're just not :p
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    good advice, another thing you can consider (like i did) is to get a second hand guitar from a good local music shop. It will be of a good quality and usually have already been set-up. this can get you a good medium range guitar for the price of a new starting range guitar, and the better the guitar you play, the more you'll enjoy it, which is whats its all about at the end of the day.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    To be honest I'd get an acoustic guitar and start learning chords, rhythm etc rather than getting an electric and playing all these crazy licks and solos. It'll stiffen your fingers as well so transferring to an electric will be so much easier. It probably isn't what you want but it's just my opinion.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Tar. Do many people who play electric learn on acoustic?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Capacity
    Tar. Do many people who play electric learn on acoustic?

    I did, if that counts for anything.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm a beginner but I'm only learning on a classical guitar for now. I feel like I'd be better off starting on this one, getting good at the techniques and then moving on to the electric, by then I'll know chords and the fretting and I'll only have to worry about messing around with the sound. But it's different for every guitarist. If it feels good, do it.
Sign In or Register to comment.