Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

I can't drink!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
It's been about three/four weeks since my doctor told me I have gladular fever and I shouldn't drink for three months. i.e. until september. I never thought it would be too difficult, but it's killing me! Well it's not really, but it's stopped me going out, which is a surprise, I didn't think it would. How would you cope if you couldn't drink for three months?

Comments

• Options
    Why cant you go out ? its cool these days to go to a pub and drink soft drinks.
    I can, beleive it or not go out and not have a drink. I dont need drink to make me have a good time.
    You can do the same as well :)

hope your feeling ok :)
  • Options
    I am so sorry :( It must be horrible! I havn't drank in like a month and it sucks enough.
  • Options
    i haven't drunk for 9 and a half years.

i manage just fine.
  • Options
    I'd cope but I don't really drink anyway so erm :chin: if it was something I did quite regularly... Well I'd think it would be easy to start off with but it's when you really want one heh it's just those odd times. But they seem to mount up and then your day is just oneeeee biggggggg craving!

Try to keep yourself occupied? Oh and I don't see why you can't drink orange heh? :p (sorry, I'm not helping)
  • Options
    Well I am allowed to go out but have been advised to rest. If I walk into town (about 1/2 mile) I am physically so tired I have to sit down when I get into town.

So I don't think going out to a local club is too good an idea, as I have to dance. I can't not dance!

Oh and the reason I can't drink is because the glandular fever made both my spleen and liver swell significantly, if anyone were to punch me with reasonable force in the stomach, I could be in serious trouble, so I'm trying to stay clear of fights too. lol.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    i haven't drunk for 9 and a half years.

i manage just fine.

Yeah but y'see Kaff, you aint a 15 year old who needs to go down to the park on a friday night to get pissed on cider.
  • Options
    Originally posted by *Lisa*
    Yeah but y'see Kaff, you aint a 15 year old who needs to go down to the park on a friday night to get pissed on cider.

i was nine and a half years ago.

well, 14-year-old.... but yeah. it's still not a big deal, in the scheme of things.
  • Options
    Originally posted by *Lisa*

17 year old who likes his vodka and orange and alcopops, actually.:p

I have more class than to drink cider. Just.

TBH the fun is kinda going out of binge drinking anyway. I just like to drink socially.

edited to say that I'm nearly 18 now, and more responsible with drinking than fifteen year old scallies who like to drink their cider.
  • Options
    Re: I can't drink!
    Originally posted by chaos_insomniac
    How would you cope if you couldn't drink for three months?
    Easily. I often go a few weeks, and occasionally a few months, without an alcoholic drink. I don't need it to have a good time, and don't need it to be able to have a laugh, or feel good, etc.
  • Options
    Personally when I had glandular fever the last thing I cared about was drinking. The fact that I barely had enough energy to lift my head from the pillow was more of a concern.
  • Options
    When the doctor told me i had glandular fever back in february, he said to carry on as i normally would, just dont do too much at a time... I get exhausted pretty quickly even now, so i have to be careful. I do have the occasional drink, but not that often, or have that much.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    Personally when I had glandular fever the last thing I cared about was drinking. The fact that I barely had enough energy to lift my head from the pillow was more of a concern.

Snap.
  • Options
    just think of all the money ur saving! Ive not drunk for a month now, cos im on steroids+id rather not drink with em.
    Glandular fever sucks, i had it for 4 months last yr, but uve just gotta rest loads. Try not to overdo things, but try to get abit of fresh air, it'll work wonders :thumb:
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    Personally when I had glandular fever the last thing I cared about was drinking.

I was just thinking the same thing! I couldnt move when i had it, never mind think about drinking.

Plus Chaos, be glad its only 3 months, my mate cant ever drink again since she had it.