Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Empty Boxes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
When you buy something do you keep the box for the warranty incase you need to return it or do you throw it out right away?

Anyone had problems returning something without a box?

I've just been in the loft and spent an hour chucking out boxes from stuff I bought a year or two ago

Comments

• Options
    Depends.. if it's something expensive like my speakers for my sterio/pc then yes.. I'll keep the box in the loft/cupboard then clean it out/throw it away every so often
  • Options
    Hehe I keep them - I don't really return much though!

I end up with lots of boxes too - I usually chuck em after a month or so - at which point, bang on queue, THEY BREAK!
  • Options
    Originally posted by CheeseOnToast
    Hehe I keep them - I don't really return much though!

I end up with lots of boxes too - I usually chuck em after a month or so - at which point, bang on queue, THEY BREAK!

Or they break like 1week after the warrently runs out..
  • Options
    haha yeah - or as per usual I don't go THROUGH the box.. then I find a warranty card which HAS to be registered within a month of purchase :lol:
  • Options
    haha yeah - or as per usual I don't go THROUGH the box.. then I find a warranty card which HAS to be registered within a month of purchase :lol:

they have many tricks to try and get you to not have/get your warrenty Void
  • Options
    Yeah I bought a BUSH TV with that card in a couple months ago, I think the speakers are fucked too so I'm not happy.. I was going to fill it out and send it in as if I bought it last week, but they're probably not that stupid :(
  • Options
    Yeah I bought a BUSH TV with that card in a couple months ago, I think the speakers are fucked too so I'm not happy.. I was going to fill it out and send it in as if I bought it last week, but they're probably not that stupid :(

just have ago and they're give in.. they won't want the disturbence.. trust me.. when i first brough my tv it fucked up.. took it back n they said it was my fault.. i made a bit of fuss n he just gave in.
  • Options

Anything made by Bush is simply crap

I had a Bush Clock radio that gained an hour every week, so I kept getting up earlier and earlier everyday and I had one of their tape systems, also crap but was a poor student at the time.
  • Options
    i know at argos, if you dont have your reciept your box is your warranty :confused:
  • Options
    Keeping boxes? :eek2: Oh dear.
  • Options
    Originally posted by DaisyChainThing
    Keeping boxes? :eek2: Oh dear.

what so if you buy a tv/stereo u throw the box away straight away
  • Options
    you lot need to think outside the box a bit more.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Hellfire
    what so if you buy a tv/stereo u throw the box away straight away

Erm, the fact that I haven't bought a TV/stereo in years means I can't answer that. But no, I'd leave it lying about till the binmen get here a week later. Then I'd throw it out. I don't exactly want a room full of boxes now, do I?

"Oooh, look at my wonderful varied collection of boxes". :hyper:
  • Options
    bin 'em! there is no way the packaging can be a part of any warranty for fucks sake.
  • Options
    Originally posted by DaisyChainThing
    Erm, the fact that I haven't bought a TV/stereo in years means I can't answer that. But no, I'd leave it lying about till the binmen get here a week later. Then I'd throw it out. I don't exactly want a room full of boxes now, do I?

"Oooh, look at my wonderful varied collection of boxes". :hyper:

yeah but we have a loft.. and good thing about boxes is they fit inside each other.. :p
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Boxes... I keep them, thinking that they'll be useful in keeping many little things inside them that would get lost if left outside. Sometimes I do that, but most of my boxes stay empty. Until they mysteriously disappear (:confused: ).
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zalbor
    Boxes... I keep them, thinking that they'll be useful in keeping many little things inside them that would get lost if left outside. Sometimes I do that, but most of my boxes stay empty. Until they mysteriously disappear (:confused: ).

o_O someones stealing boxes...got any local tramps
  • Options
    o_O someones stealing boxes...got any local tramps
    lol. No, most likely it's my mum or the "cleaning" lady. Or a conspiracy of both :p
  • Options
    lol. No, most likely it's my mum or the "cleaning" lady. Or a conspiracy of both :p

You got a cleaner:( I want one
  • Options
    You got a cleaner:( I want one
    You could have ours, if it was in my hands. She can't come once without breaking or dismantling or throwing away something I liked. Or messing my desk up so I can't find what I'm looking for.
  • Options
    You could have ours, if it was in my hands. She can't come once without breaking or dismantling or throwing away something I liked. Or messing my desk up so I can't find what I'm looking for.

Get a crate n ship her over then :hyper: lol..
  • Options
    She can't come once without breaking...something I liked.

I read that all wrong =/ Dirty mood today I think.
  • Options
    You don't need your box/packaging if an item is faulty.
    However, it may be useful to have it to send an item back if necessary. And of course you will need your boxes/packaging to return an item for exchange/refund (depending upon the shops refund policy), so it can be returned complete and in as sold condition (note: some shops won't consider an item in as sold condition if you even open a box by breaking a seal - and a "seal" can be as little as a small tab of sellotape).

A box/packaging is nothing to do with your receipt. It doesn't prove you've bought it, or bought it from that shop. Even if a box has the shop's branding on it, it still doesn't prove you bought it from them. And of course it doesn't prove when you bought it, which is necessary for warranty claims.

To return an faulty item you will need a valid proof of purchase, which in the eyes of retail law is a receipt, bank or credit card statement (if paid for with a card), or cheque stub.

I usually keep boxes for a few weeks in case the item breaks within a few days, then chuck it. Some boxes I hang on to longer if it's either a good way to protect an item during moving, or if it's a mail ordered item that would benefit from the protection of its original packaging if sent back.
  • Options
    I seriously can't believe that a thread about Empty Boxes is one of the most active threads on the front page.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Doofay
    I seriously can't believe that a thread about Empty Boxes is one of the most active threads on the front page.

Your not serious are ya..

:lol::lol: