Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Yay Or Nay

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
yay or nay:

leg warmers.
legwarmer03.JPG

ponchos.
128680.jpg

flat caps.
00120f.jpg

[not necessarily the ones in the pictures!]

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Nay.
  • Options
    Re: Yay Or Nay
    Originally posted by Lexxie*
    yay or nay:

leg warmers.
    legwarmer03.JPG

[not necessarily the ones in the pictures!]

How come you took the others out?..

And yes. They look great. However, plain ones would not. I think the only way those would look good is if they were stripey and were dark colours. Imagining the same ones in light colours just seems wrong for so many reasons.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Yay Or Nay
    Originally posted by Capacity
    How come you took the others out?..

And yes. They look great. However, plain ones would not. I think the only way those would look good is if they were stripey and were dark colours. Imagining the same ones in light colours just seems wrong for so many reasons.

they're back in now!
    i was wondering why the links wouldn't show up as images. whoops.
  • Options
    Ok. It looks like my computer cocked up or you took them out and put them back. Either way,

The leg warmers - Yah

The ponchos - A little more difficult. Mostly depends on where you're wearing them I think. Depending on where you plan to wear them, they should be fine. I think it looks good.

The hat - Probably not. Not only for the reason that it's burberry, but also for the reason that it can be quite awkward. It depends a lot on what you would wear with it, but I don't think many things that cover a girls hair actually look great.
  • Options
    definate no. I've seen nobody wearing them so I couldn't laugh directly at them but I did laugh a little when I saw the pictures.
  • Options
    I think this'll be one where it comes down to whether you like it enough to take the amount of criticism. I think they look good, if I saw someone walking down the street wearing that I'd definately look again - If only to get a better look at what they're wearing. I suppose really I'd just love everyone to have the attitude where they don't care what they wear and try to be as different and unique as possible, but because of society that'll never happen.

Still look good in my opinion.
  • Options
    The only one i could endorse with my yay would be the poncho. Those leg warmer things are hideous. Leg warmers were for the days of fame and should be kept to ballet and dance class.
    Flat caps belong to the country. If they take off as the in thing then shit loads of farmers round here and going to be trendy old geezers.
  • Options
    I personally like flat caps. Though not that one in particular. I buy mine in the men's section of H&M and TopShop. The thing about wearing them that p1sses me off the most is the fact that some drunken hooligan will always come and rob it off me. I've lost 3 hats so far & that makes me sad.

Ponchos. I never liked them before, but my friend bought one from M&S & it looks great on her, so I might consider trying one on to see if it suits me. I think I'd go for a dark brown/black poncho rather than the pansy pink crochet style ones that most girls are wearing.

Leg warmers. The ones in the photo are naaasty! Although I have to admit, I own a pair of long grey/black striped ones which are fairly similar. I like them. But I don't wear them very often.. I wear black high socks instead, because I can.

One thing I'd NEVER EVER EVER wear though is leggings! Girls seem to like wearing leggings underneath their mini-skirts these days, and it makes me want to vom everywhere. It's like the law of the land that all leggings should be thrown away or set alight. Agh, nightmare.
  • Options
    Nay.
  • Options
    Nay nay nay.
  • Options
    Ayyyyyyyyyyy!

{Glaswegian version of "Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew!" Add a wee "Nay" in there, too thank you please.}
  • Options
    leg warmers...yes
    other two...no
  • Options
    Two years ago while I was going through a short-lived "I want to be a fashion designer" phase, I crocheted myself a black poncho...it was very fine and "cobwebby" (as I very eloquently described it) and I fancied myself as a Spanish flamenco dancer in it, even though I just threw it on with scruffy jeans etc. Since I've been at Uni this year, I wear it to the odd lectures and when I'm slobbing about in halls, going to the pub etc. Last year when I used to wear it at home, I used to get the piss taken out of me constantly...I remember one bloke used to call me a gypsy, hobo, all kinds of things...and even my friends used to find it a bit weird. Anyway, this years I've been getting loads of compliments, "where did you buy that?"'s etc, and I feel very smug that not only have I made it myself and its a one-off, whilst also resenting the fact that it's a bit of a trend now. However, to cut my very long rambly story short - I think ponchos are great! Although I agree with the person who said that these pink ones that are popping up all over are a bit less...er nice. I think they look really good with just jeans, suits me fine anyway!

I also loooove legwarmers...although about 6 months to a year ago when girls were wearing neon pink ones with a neon pink top, white mini skirt and white stilletoes, I thought they were the pits. Some people can really pull it off though, and on those people I think it looks ace. Sadly, I am not one of those people :(
  • Options
    Always hated ponchos, but the one posted is actually pretty sweet.
  • Options
    The leg warmers posted in the pic aren't nice. Theres very few legwarmers that do look nice, and only very few people who can pull them off. (I.E - you have to look stylish to wear them, rahter than forced into it by your friends etc)

I've never liked poncho's although this season, i think the look cool. Some look so cheap and nasty though, so you have to be careful what ones you pick. I've seen a great black one in Topshop (Oxford Street). It would look great with some funky jeans and black flipflops/high heeled shoes.

Flatcaps...Not anymore. I had one when they were 'in' and that was when I was 13/14. They may be starting to come back in, but the majority of them look tacky. Theres a few cute ones around, 'though you'd have to search hard to find them.
  • Options
    Tbh, if you're hawt - you can wear any of them. I didn't want to say that, because it sounds wrong for many reasons, but it's as accurate as can be.
  • Options
    I would only wear legwarmers under baggy jeans; I would never wear them so they were on show.

The ponchos are ok. Maybe.

Flat cap, no way. It's the sort of thing my grandad would have worn.