Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Counselling

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I think I need counselling or something. I don't know but I seem to be falling apart.

In the last week I've been slashing at my arms after I'd stopped for SO long, I've not eaten properly for a week or so and when I do eat I throw it up on purpose, all I do is sleep and cry because I hate being awake to think, and because of this I've quit one of my jobs because I can't manage to drag myself out of bed to go there just because I can't stand the thought of being there all day and having all this shit in my head.

It's pathetic that the onset for all of this is all because of a man and if things hadn't changed I'd be incredibly happy but they have and I'm kinda fucked in the head because of everything that's happened with him.

I hardly think a broken relationship puts me at the front of the queue for counselling (if there is one? :S) but I thought it might be a good idea, just because I'm tired of hating myself and having all this crap resurface.

So I was wondering how to get it? Do you have to pay? I've never actually been before. I was offered it when I was depressed a couple of years ago but I never went for it. Now I think I want it.

Thanks for any help. x

Comments

• Options
    Poor you :(

Are you at uni? Most unis have a counselling service, here you just drop in and make an appointment. Or school? Schools have counsellors too most of the time.

Failing that, go to the doctors. They can refer you to a counsellor on the NHS, although waiting lists are long. You can find private counsellors in the yellow pages, but be prepared to pay £30-£50 for a private session.

Good luck mate, and remember you can always call the Samaritans...they'll listen if you drop in, they were really helpful when I went once.

Take care :)
  • Options
    What she said. Sounds like it would be a good idea. The NHS do take ages to refer but they seem pretty fair about putting people to the front of the "queue" if they need to be - your GP will decide that on the basis of your symptoms. You'll have to be prepared to wait some time whatever happens really.

If you get referred to an NHS counsellor you don't get on with, don't be afraid to try and see someone else. You won't get anywhere if you don't trust your counsellor.

Take care!
    x
  • Options
    If you were a patient here you would be right at the front of the queue for the simple reason that you are currently self harming after a long period of not doing it. If you go to your GP and tell them exactly what you've told us and they don't refer you to a community psychiatric scheme then you need to change doctors.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    If you were a patient here you would be right at the front of the queue for the simple reason that you are currently self harming after a long period of not doing it. If you go to your GP and tell them exactly what you've told us and they don't refer you to a community psychiatric scheme then you need to change doctors.

Same here, i got put to the front of the queue here & that was only because i was pregnant.