Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Chuggers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
For those of you who don't know what the fuck I'm on about:

"Chuggers" (Charity Muggers) are multicoloured bid clad, usually students or out of work actors who approach people and ask not for cash directly but for your bank details and a monthly donation to a charity or pressure group.they represent.

I like to give to charity or homeless people, but I prefer to give cash direct to them either in a collection tin, Big Issue or when I'm feeling generous and have a spare few bob in my pocket. Giving out my bank details on the street puts me off personally especially when the chuggers themselves look as if they need a slice of my student loan.

I was wondering everyone else's views on chuggers?

Comments

• Options
    You will never find me giving them my bank details, for so many reasons.
  • Options
    Never, ever stop to talk to someone holding a clipboard on the street.

They're more difficult to shake off than fleas :mad:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Never, ever stop to talk to someone holding a clipboard on the street.

You know, that should be taught to kids at school, one of the important lessons in life.

Far more useful than trig...
  • Options
    I have seen adverts for those posts, they make between £7 and £8.50 an hour in London.

So you have to think that they have to collect at least a tenner an hour before they are even giving ANY to the Charity in question.

Its a really really bad way to give.

That and they are just plain fucking annoying.
  • Options
    I tell 'em I already work for a charity (which is true). That shuts 'em up.
  • Options
    it's a big no and a glare from me ...works everytime.
    i give but not when pressured. i never give to those who collect in pubs. they are taking by guilt. i feel no sense of guilt by refudsing to be mugged whilst out enjoying a drink.
  • Options
    Are those the ones who are seen by Covent Garden?
  • Options
    There bloody everywhere.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    I have seen adverts for those posts, they make between £7 and £8.50 an hour in London.

So you have to think that they have to collect at least a tenner an hour before they are even giving ANY to the Charity in question.

Its a really really bad way to give.

That and they are just plain fucking annoying.

Common misconceptions, its actually a very good way to give. The employee is paid for by the agency not the charity. The charity pays the agency for each donor signed up. This money comes from the charities marketing budget a sum which would normally spent on those envelopes that come through your door or media advertising.

The charity therefore achieves a guaranteed donation for its money rather than relying on the hope that people will respond to other paid for advertising. This is all regulated by the Charity Commission to make sure its not abused.

The other advantages are being able to budget more accurately as you have a regular income coming in by DD. Plus if the donor is giving from a taxable income the charity can claim back the tax under the government's Gift Aid scheme, giving it extra income. It is unable to do this with anonymous donations.

If you think the concept is good but still don't like chuggers you can always contact the charity direct and they will send you a form.
  • Options
    Anybody else find chuggers flirtatious? :eek2:
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    Anybody else find chuggers flirtatious? :eek2:
    the ones in covent garden where quite charming. But U guess athat they have to be that, ´to attract dinations.
  • Options
    One asked me for bloody money whilst I was on duty. It was all I could do to stop from giving him a slap!
    They've even started infesting small market towns, anywhere with a shopping precinct!
    They're like a cancer of this planet
  • Options
    They're only doing a job like the rest of us and they probably hate it as much as we are but you've gotta earn money some how!

I've been stopped loads of times and I signed up once but cancelled it a few weeks later - he was too charming!

Another time someone from the RSPCA came to the door and I ended up signing up for £6.99 a month which at the time I couldn't afford (I can afford it easily now so didn't cancel it). I don't seem able to say no to a pretty face!

However, I always check their identification badges etc and I was offered numerous opportunities to ring up heaquarters and verify that they had someone out in my area etc.
  • Options
    Maybe they were bluffing....who would actually ring up "head officer" at their request...?:lol:
  • Options
    I feel bad saying no, but I support charities in my own way. I tend to tell people I'm under 18 because I once tried to say I couldn't afford it and the guy completely guilt-tripped me. But it's the truth, I'm an unemployed A Level student!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    Maybe they were bluffing....who would actually ring up "head officer" at their request...?:lol:

I was given his id badge and a little leaflet from the RSPCA with a freephone number on and other contact numbers so that you could verify that they had someone collecting in your area. I don't think a scammer could be bothered to set up a freephone number or have all the RSPCAs literature... or use an official Direct Debit form.
  • Options
    I was stopped once and really they just dont leave you alone, but I will not give in to them, dont get me wrong I do give to charity regularly just like you lot say I dont really think it is wise to give your bank details out to these people.

I want to actually see where my money is going!