Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Get belly done, before or after?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I want to get my belly pierced this summer. I go away on the 26th July, around then. Would it be better to have it pierced when i come back, or would before be ok? :)

Comments

• Options
    Depends where you are going, i reckon! If your are gonna be lying on a beach all day get it done when you come back...dont want sand and suncream getting at the new piercing. If you are going somewhere cooler, get it done now. Summer is a good time to get it done anyway since thinner clothes are worn and so the piercing can breathe :)

Having said that...26th July is like over 4 weeks away, so you should be fine if you get it done now! I wouldnt exactly go the day before you leave though :)
  • Options
    Its a lying on the beach holiday.
  • Options
    Originally posted by *TiNK*
    Its a lying on the beach holiday.
    Get it done after then. It needs looking after, you can't risk it burning, or getting infected with sand and what not.
  • Options
    After, it'll take a while before it looks all nice and like young and sexy said, you don't want to risk getting it infected.
  • Options
    Would the same level of precaution need to be taken for an ear piercing? I've been thinking about getting a part of my ear pierced but I go away to Eastern Europe for 5 weeks in 11 days time.

This wouldn't be enough time to let it heal, would it? I wouldn't be doing much swimming or be around sand a lot but I'd be in the sun all day, so should I just wait til I get back?
  • Options
    That should be plenty of time, getting your ears done is much less likely to turn into a big puss ball.
  • Options
    Your ear should be ok to get it done now. Aslong as you clean it every day, you'll be fine :)
  • Options
    ide wait til you come back. just say it goes all red and inflammed for a while, you may not want to display that in a bikini and then also you dont want to risk getting sand and stuff in it as someone said before.
  • Options
    my friend had her's done while she was away on holiday (probably not recomended lol) and she was in the sea every day so the salt water made it heal really quickly and kept any infection away.

I don't know if it's the best idea...just thought I'd add her experience with it
  • Options
    Originally posted by xXxHelzxXx
    my friend had her's done while she was away on holiday (probably not recomended lol) and she was in the sea every day so the salt water made it heal really quickly and kept any infection away.

:yes: my friend said the same thing.

ive recently had mine done and its still a bit sore, i wouldnt want to get sad etc in it and i find laying on my front is still uncomfortable so you wouldnt be able to get ur back nicely tanned either!
    i'd wait till after because as others have said you'll risk getting it infected with sand etc and it'll look red for a while, which u may not want to show off with ur bikini :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tim the Enchanter
    Would the same level of precaution need to be taken for an ear piercing? I've been thinking about getting a part of my ear pierced but I go away to Eastern Europe for 5 weeks in 11 days time.

This wouldn't be enough time to let it heal, would it? I wouldn't be doing much swimming or be around sand a lot but I'd be in the sun all day, so should I just wait til I get back?

It depends on which part of the ear you're talking about. If it's just lobes then it'll heal quicker though I'd still recommend not getting it done just before you go away, as you still need to keep it clean and prevent infections. If we're talking about cartiledge piercings such as the top of your ear or your tragus, it'll take much longer to heal - up to a few months. I definitely wouldn't get that pierced just before going away - my tragus piercing is still going a bit yucky and that's just at home in England with meticulous cleaning every day.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lisa simpson's saxophone
    It depends on which part of the ear you're talking about. If it's just lobes then it'll heal quicker though I'd still recommend not getting it done just before you go away, as you still need to keep it clean and prevent infections. If we're talking about cartiledge piercings such as the top of your ear or your tragus, it'll take much longer to heal - up to a few months. I definitely wouldn't get that pierced just before going away - my tragus piercing is still going a bit yucky and that's just at home in England with meticulous cleaning every day.

Yeh I'm thinking of getting two rings in the top of one ear so I'll wait til after I get back. Kinda want it now, but I've hardly the money for it anyway!

Incidently, how much to piercings at the top of the ear usually cost?

Thanks for the advice.
  • Options
    Tink, get it done when you come back. If it gets infected, and a bit icky, then you'll be sulking with a yucky, sore, red, navel for potentially the whole holiday. Navels are notorious for becoming infected, even when you think it's going well.
    Enjoy the holiday, then get it done when you come back. Ok, so you won't have much of a chance to show it off this year by the time it's fully healed, but by next year it'll be healed, settled down, and looking sexy.