Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Strange...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I went to see a doctor last week, to see about goin on the Pill...

I went in, and said 'I'd like to go on the pill to regulate my periods' and all he did was take my blood pressure - which he was very impressed with, and wrote me a 3 mnth prescription for Microgynon 30... No questions, no advice, or anything.

Is that normal???!

EDITED: And, I'm also really really worried about putting on weight with the pill... any suggestions?

Ilora x

Comments

• Options
    Yup, thats's usually all that happens. Except they ask you questions usually about your health, and family health etc...

You won't necessarily put on weight, depends on your body and the Pill your on. Just be aware of what your eating, take plenty of exercise and you'll be fine!

I'm on Microgyon 30, and haven't put any weight on. My friend was on Dianite (sp), and put on over a stone... came off it and lost the weight straight away, depends on your body!
  • Options
    I've also heard that some women's breasts grow, whilst on the pill.. How likely is that??? :confused:

Ilora x
  • Options
    again, depends on the body and the pill. Mine grew an iccle bit, more like swollen grew though. When i came off it for a bit, they seemed to be smaller but i think it was just my imagination.
  • Options
    :yes: thats normal. Except he should have given you some advice and checked the medical history in your family.
  • Options
    Just monitor yourself really closely for the first three months and note down any changes as this is usually when it occurs. As Natos had said everyone feels it differently as the hormones effect different people in different ways. Sometimes you find the pill can increase your appetite therefore you eat more and put the weight on. So people find it doesn't change.
    Usually they take you weight/height and keep an eye on that and also ask you to watch out for side effects like mood swings, sickness and stuff like that. They should ask about family medical history related to thrombosis as well.
  • Options
    everyones different, you could loose/gain weight or a bra size - just watch for any side affects and mentions them when you go back in 3 months (you'll have to go back to the doctors for more pill, as they need to monitor your blood pressure whilst you're on it+so they wont give it you via repeat prescription)
  • Options
    When you go back after the first 3 months, what do they do?

Ilora x
  • Options
    Talk to you about any side effects you've had, and then take your blood pressure again to check it hasn't been affected by the pill. Not a big deal :) After that, they usually give you 6 months worth.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Sa-ra-ra-ra
    Talk to you about any side effects you've had, and then take your blood pressure again to check it hasn't been affected by the pill. Not a big deal :) After that, they usually give you 6 months worth.

Yeah plus some monitor your weight.
  • Options
    Here's a factsheet that may help you.
    I'd also advise that you read the leaflet through to understand the possible side-effects and then if you have any questiosn, make another appointment with your GP.
    You can also contact one of the following organisations for contraception advice:

Brook Advisory Centres
    Advice, counselling and medical help around contraception, pregnancy, abortion and sexual health.
    Telephone: 0800 0185023
    www.brook.org.uk

Family Planning Association
    Information service on family planning and all aspects of sexual health.
    Helpline: 0845 3101334
    www.fpa.org.uk

:)
  • Options
    Worries me that there was no advice...

Or medical history...