Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

periods

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ok, so i get really heavy periods and they're quite long too, like a week. is there anything other than the pill i can use to make them lighter or is that the only way?

also, if it is, how easy is it to get etc, what do they ask you/will my doctor just prescribe it?

Comments

• Options
    I thnk there is another type of pill you can take to help your periods but its not a contraceptive.
    As for the pill, they just ask a few general questions, its easy :).
  • Options
    it would probably be easier to just go on the pill, unless you have a specific reason for not wanting to.

also if you were on it long term, when you turn 19 and have to pay for your prescriptions, the pill will still be free, whereas any non-contraceptive medication would set you back £6.40 a time.

(ok, yeah, i'm cheap. but you have to think about these things)
  • Options
    someone i know got somthing that i think was called a d and c where the lining of her womb was scrapped away cos her periods were so heavy and long but i dont know much more about it. ide ask the doc especially if its interfering in your life.
  • Options
    Originally posted by wee wuman
    someone i know got somthing that i think was called a d and c where the lining of her womb was scrapped away cos her periods were so heavy and long but i dont know much more about it. ide ask the doc especially if its interfering in your life.
    its not like a major thing. more of a discomfort really, for the first three or four days its really really heavy then at the end its barely there, which i find strange!
    but it makes me not want to go out when i'm on etc and it used to be ok at school cos i live so close that i could just pop home - but im starting college in september and its miles away so not as convienient
  • Options
    ide say its affecting your life. speak to your doc!
  • Options

Isn't that usually done after a miscarriage/abortion? I'd rather have the pill :nervous:

I've been on God only knows how many types of tablets for painful periods, but the only one that made them lighter was the mini-pill (I can't have the combined pill). But obviously I was more worried about the pain than the heaviness, so I expect there are tablets other than the pill that can make periods lighter.

There's the coil as well, I think that makes periods lighter, but I doubt you'd be given it what with your age and what not, I would imagine you'd be offered the pill first.

Thinking this was probably no help whatsoever, but hey. :thumb:
  • Options
    someone i know got somthing that i think was called a d and c where the lining of her womb was scrapped away

Really? A d&c is normally done after a miscarriage.
  • Options
    Originally posted by *TiNK*
    Really? .

yes, really. it was years ago now though but it was done. i know cos my mum got it and no she didnt have a misscarriage.
  • Options
    "There are two main reasons for performing a D&C:

an evacuation D&C is performed in a recently pregnant woman to remove tissue remaining in the womb.

a gynaecological D&C is part of the investigation of a woman who is experiencing heavy or irregular periods or vaginal bleeding after the menopause."

thats from net doctor.
  • Options
    "There are two main reasons for performing a D&C:

an evacuation D&C is performed in a recently pregnant woman to remove tissue remaining in the womb.

a gynaecological D&C is part of the investigation of a woman who is experiencing heavy or irregular periods or vaginal bleeding after the menopause."

thats from net doctor.

ooo, i didnt know there was two types. Well i do now lol.
  • Options
    Since starting the pill I have lighter periods (almost non existent sometimes!) but I find my period pain far worse. Not sure why that is, it is obviously just different for different women!