Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

FEAR, there, and everywhere

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i posted this in anything goes, but maybe more suited to P+D so.....

Crime rates have been dropping steadily for decades in countries like the US/UK, but people are still shit scared to walk down the road at night.........fear levels have gone up...........why is this?

the goddamn media (this is especially true in the US but also here) constantly chooses to report the nasty minority and make out that we should all lock our doors, and in america's case, have a loaded gun under your pillow...........this is madness, the world is a very safe place if you think about it, and the statistical chances of something happening to you is quite low...........i live in the sticks where i know all my neighbours, no danger, yet we lock the door at night!............most people take this for granted, but in canada most dont bother, because their govt and media is not trying to scare the shit out of them, making it easier to control the mass population.............through FEAR! who's afraid? and why?

Comments

• Options
    I wouldnt like to walk through my street at night, esp on weekends, there are always gangs about smokin weed and gettin pissed, suprisingly most of them are about 25+. As for not lockin the door, they steal stuff outta some gardens, god knows what they would take if my door was open! :crazyeyes
  • Options
    Re: FEAR, there, and everywhere
    Originally posted by apollo_69

Crime rates have been dropping steadily for decades in countries like the US/UK, but people are still shit scared to walk down the road at night.........fear levels have gone up...........why is this?

the goddamn media (this is especially true in the US but also here) constantly chooses to report the nasty minority and make out that we should all lock our doors, and in america's case, have a loaded gun under your pillow...........this is madness, the world is a very safe place if you think about it, and the statistical chances of something happening to you is quite low...........i live in the sticks where i know all my neighbours, no danger, yet we lock the door at night!............most people take this for granted, but in canada most dont bother, because their govt and media is not trying to scare the shit out of them, making it easier to control the mass population.............through FEAR! who's afraid? and why?

Have you been reading/watching Michael Moore by any chance?
  • Options
    Re: Re: FEAR, there, and everywhere

• Options

because chances are if you are gonna be attacked its likely to be on a night as your walking home. Crime may be falling (personally i dont know if it is), but just the other week there were 2 seperate incidents in my neighbourhood which happened on a night and it wasnt even late it was 9pm ish.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: FEAR, there, and everywhere
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    Seconded. That's almost lifted straight from Bowling for Columbine :p

Not a bad thing, it's a great film.

I'm not altogether sure that the media (certainly in Britain) is that bad. Old people are scared to go out at night in my area (which isn't overly rough) because of the little thug bastards. There may well be very little chance of them getting attacked. But there is still a chance. It only takes one attack to create a sense of fear in an area. If you've experienced or seen the affects of violence first hand then statistics are of no comfort.

Edited because I can't spell for toffee.
  • Options
    i have read some michael moore stuff but not seen that doc i dont think......the one about shooting at that high school right?.........the man does make sense though, i recommend stupid white men.........

no i was talking to my mate, because we live miles up the arse end of nowhere but still my dad is paranoid someones gonna turn up and burgle us, bizarre he goes mental if he finds out the door wasnt locked overnight.........(my mate still doesnt lock his door btw)......

and late on bbc they show the american abc news i think, this guy called peter jennings, talks real calm but the whole bulletin is usually some new scare or george bush raising the alert level, complete breeze........

and on www.murderuk.com it has a few stats, if u think theres 60 odd million of us the chances of something happening are fairly small (well, especially to me i guess i dunno if u live in some parts of the cities)
  • Options
    yeah thats kind of the same in my local town (saffron walden)........dont see any old peeps once the suns down, and trust me there are plenty they outnumber the rest of us.......too many little twats running around, but that would all be solved with a curfew........
  • Options
    If you haven't seen Bowling for Columbine then I recommend getting a copy as soon as possible. Michael Moore raises the exact points that you have. He interviews a guy called Barry Glassner who wrote Culture of Fear, which deals with the stuff you mentioned. Even if you just put his name into google you'll find a ton of interviews and articles that you might find interesting.
  • Options
    ..too many little twats running around, but that would all be solved with a curfew........
    be solved if more parents gave their kids a fucking fearsome slap everytime they were discovered to have terrorised the nieghborhood ...
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    be solved if more parents gave their kids a fucking fearsome slap everytime they were discovered to have terrorised the nieghborhood ...

no you cant do that and the kids KNOW it.

I reckon parents should take responsibility for their kids if the kids get into trouble.........punish the parents because if they are not gonna be allowed to get away with having unsociable, unacceptable behaviour from the kids then they MIGHT just make sure their kids are not up to no good.
  • Options
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: FEAR, there, and everywhere

• Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    Yeah, but what about the parents who can't control their children, no matter what they do? You do get them, and if the parent has already done everything they can to stop them, then is it really fair that they should be punished for something beyond their control?

I don't like the idea of curfews to be honest. Who decides who are the trouble makers? It's a dangerous precedent, and what's more, it punishes law abiding individuals, simply because they are part of a certain section of society.
    it's dodgy ground ...blurrgghhh.
  • Options

Jock Young did some research on the 'media amplification spiral' that worked on the media and its effect on society, specifically scapegoating and labelling... interesting read.
  • Options
    Fear.

Fear leads to anger.

Anger leads to hate.

Hate leads to The Dark Side...
  • Options
    i dont like the idea of curfews either, but realistically parents wont get chased up for not keeping their kids in line so curfews in known problem areas would surely make the streets feel a little safer?..........kids these days think they cant be touched, i say stick em in doors for a bit and make their parents deal with it, and dare i say do some parenting.
  • Options
    that beckyboo puts the fear of god into me.