Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

unemployment

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone know where to find some data and trends on unemployment compared to that of incapacity benefit.

I heard a comment the other day where someone referred to incapacity benefit as the new unemployment....

anyone have any thoughts on this?

Comments

• Options
    National Stats i would imagine, haven't got the link I am afraid, easy to find though.....

Well if you are incapacitated so you can't work then obviously this is a form of unemployment, not sure how it is 'new' though? :confused:
  • Options
    sorry I was being lazy, I did find some, but they didn't make much sense.

the point was as unemployment keeps dropping people claiming incapacity benefit keeps rising. the person who made the comment implied that the drop and rise mirror each other.

at a superficial level this would appear to be the govt. just manipulating data by changing the name of a benefit... therefor they can claim the lowest ever level of unemployment whereas in reality all those unemployed are probably not in work, just claiming a different benefit.

AND

i just wanted to see if this was the case, but it was proving harder than i had time for!
  • Options
    Hmmmm, I am very dubious of claims about govt fiddling stats, the stats office are quite wary of political interference and it is easy to tell in the budget etc what is going on really....

It would not suprise me that it is easier to claim benefit from incapacity now, compebnsation culture etc.....

What doesn't hold with the theroy is why would incapacity claimants decrease if unemployment increased?
  • Options
    incapacity benefit is not that easy to claim. a few weeks sick notes probably are but to claim incapacity for any length of time ...more than a few weeks ...needs medical backing. tests results etc.
    obviously there will be some people who manage to fool their way through but i don't believe that many people could fiddle it ...i could be wrong so show me.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    obviously there will be some people who manage to fool their way through but i don't believe that many people could fiddle it ...i could be wrong so show me.

I think there are probably lots more than you think. Some people can fool the system, they can pretend to be ill and get away with it. You just have to look at the orange badge scheme to see how easy it is, I know many people who have a badge but in reality they dont need it......they just know how to be very good actors.

I agree with what hobbs was saying though, just change the names of the benefit and it looks like unemployment is dropping.
  • Options
    Well does anyone think that there is a serious unemployment problem in the UK?

There are lots of non-govt agencies that come up with their own unemployment stats, if their was a serious discrepancy i feel sure
    it would come to light..
  • Options
    Toadborg

There are lots of non-govt agencies that come up with their own unemployment stats, if their was a serious discrepancy i feel sure

Of course, Pollyanna:D
  • Options
    Originally posted by hobbs

the point was as unemployment keeps dropping people claiming incapacity benefit keeps rising. the person who made the comment implied that the drop and rise mirror each other.

at a superficial level this would appear to be the govt. just manipulating data by changing the name of a benefit... therefor they can claim the lowest ever level of unemployment whereas in reality all those unemployed are probably not in work, just claiming a different benefit.

[/B]

Its not just incapacity. Anyone put on `new deal` is immediatly taken off the unemployment figures, any kind of back to work scheme.
  • Options
    Nothing new, this has been going on for years. Maggie was the past master at 'massaging' the figures. Reduced unemployment at a swoop. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    I think there are probably lots more than you think. Some people can fool the system, they can pretend to be ill and get away with it. You just have to look at the orange badge scheme to see how easy it is, I know many people who have a badge but in reality they dont need it......they just know how to be very good actors.

I agree with what hobbs was saying though, just change the names of the benefit and it looks like unemployment is dropping.
    i'll believe you.
    not a stunt i could pull off i think.
    constantly having to fiegn pain or illness and having to strip off and put this gown on mr roll ...all to get a giro ...i'd burst out laughing at some point!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    Well does anyone think that there is a serious unemployment problem in the UK?

Yes, I do. I think its more the problem that there are jobs out there but there are some who would rather just sit at home and do nothing.

Take my hubby, he was unemployed back in March. He wanted a couple of months out just to really have a break because he had worked long hours 7 days a week for a few year. Anyways he didnt just apply for jobs that were advertised and the job he has now was not advertised but out of the blue he sent a C.V off to this place and a couple of months later they asked him to go for an interview..........he got the job and is now employed. He was only out of work for a couple of months, so it can be done.
    Some people dont want work and thats the problem and its them ones that give everyone else a bad name.