Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

for people who've come off the pill

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
when you had your first 'proper' period after stopping the pill, was it a lot heavier and more painful not only than the break bleeds you had while on the pill, but also than the periods you had before starting the pill?

i missed two break bleeds in a row, and my doctor suggested i come off the pill to see if i would bleed 'naturally'. it took 6 weeks, but i finally managed it. only it's heavy, and bright red (sorry kids) and hurts like hell.

have i broken myself?

Comments

• Options
    Re: for people who've come off the pill
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    when you had your first 'proper' period after stopping the pill, was it a lot heavier and more painful not only than the break bleeds you had while on the pill, but also than the periods you had before starting the pill?

i missed two break bleeds in a row, and my doctor suggested i come off the pill to see if i would bleed 'naturally'. it took 6 weeks, but i finally managed it. only it's heavy, and bright red (sorry kids) and hurts like hell.

have i broken myself?
    I took a three month break from the pill that I usually take and found that whilst my first period after it was the same as on it, the second one was a lot worse than usual (much heavier and much more painful). But that is how my "natural" periods were before I went on the pill anyway.

Hope things improve soon for you :)
  • Options
  • Options
    thanks for your replies

**warning - ming description follows - don't read if you're eating your breakfast**

the only thing that worries me is that the last period i had before this was at the beginning of march. so i was expecting the blood to be all 'old' and dark (people who run packs of pills together should know what i mean). but it is bright, bright red, and not lumpy or anything. it doesn't even look like i'm having a period, it just looks like normal blood.

hmm. i think i will give it a couple of days and see how it goes.
  • Options
    Mine was the opposite, I came off the pill had 3 periods in 12 months and then when they started being regular again were practically non-existant anyway!
  • Options
    KimonoKimono Posts: 201 Trailblazer
    If you've still got your pill pack with the leaflet you could try seeing if its could a helpline no. on it that you could ring and ask. Failing that, if you're still worried call the old favourite NHS Direct .

From experience I think it sounds fine but that's only my humble non-doctory opinion. No harm in asking a pro tho!

X
  • Options
    I went back on the pill because my periods became stupidly painful when I came off it in a way they never were before I went on the pill. Weird thing was, they were a lot lighter than before too, it was just the pain and feeling geberally like crap that was the problem.