Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Other options?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
When people go to their GP with symptoms of depression what other options for management are there other than ADs?

I've not known anyone go to the GP for depressive symptoms who hasn't come out with medication of some sort.

Does anyone have any experience of this? Today a 13 year old girl was placed on anti-depressants and it made me sad to think that there was no other way of managing her illness.

Comments

• Options
    Re: Other options?
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    I've not known anyone go to the GP for depressive symptoms who hasn't come out with medication of some sort.
    My GP monitored me closely for a few months before putting me on ADs, then referred me to a therapy unit and took me off them asap. I suppose I was lucky.

But, yes, they can either keep seeing you themselves, refer you to a therapist, or do nothing. I think the former is the best way to manage it (i.e. keep someone stable), whilst the second is the only option for long-term solutions.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Other options?
    Originally posted by piccolo
    But, yes, they can either keep seeing you themselves, refer you to a therapist, or do nothing. I think the former is the best way to manage it (i.e. keep someone stable), whilst the second is the only option for long-term solutions.

I suppose I know what the other options are - counselling, therapy, call it what you will... but I'm curious how many people refuse ADs and how many people are offered other options before the medication.
  • Options
    when i was first dragged to the doctor, i was given emergency referral to a counselling service and assessed asap.

because of my age (16) they would not put me on ADs until i was 18, and before they had exhausted all other methods.

i ended up seeing an occupational therapist for a couple of years.

they only put me on ADs when i was 18, but even then they monitored me a lot more closely that they seem to these days.

how times have changed..
  • Options
    They put me on AD about 18 months ago, I started to take them, then I took loads of them one night with friends in a cock tail of other drugs.. they were shit anyway..

I don't think drugs are the answer, if you had a bad life, and I mean bad, and you can't cope, then yes, take what you need to survive for now, but otherwise doctors are prescription happy..

I still haven't seen a councillor to this day, even when I got arrested because they thought I was gonna set myself on fire in January, I got banned from driving but that was it :crazyeyes
  • Options
    I was speaking to my ex last night as he had been put on them last year. He tried three different types and he hated them all. He said he personally believed that they were given to him to make him see that however bad his life was without them, it wasn't nearly as bad as life with them!
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    I've been on various antidepressants since I was 12. Not once have I been offered any kind of therapy - they just keep filling out my prescriptions and packing me off. Ten years is a long time.
    That is terrrible!
  • Options
  • Options
    Ellie - have you registered with a GP in this area or do you plan to when you move house?

The mental health services in Tyne & Wear really are quite good. At least in Sunderland they are.
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by rachie004
    When I was at the Doctors on Tuesday (for other reasons) I mentioned I was feeling down - ta da I'm back on anti depressents.. I feel like a bit of a failure because I haven't touched them for so long

I first got put on them when I was 14.. I was giving councelling when I was 12.. then again when I was 14.. and then again when I was 15

Couldn't you have said no? You didn't have to take the prescription to the chemists if you didn't want to.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    when i was first dragged to the doctor, i was given emergency referral to a counselling service and assessed asap.

because of my age (16) they would not put me on ADs until i was 18, and before they had exhausted all other methods.
    It was the opposite with me. I was offered ADs as opposed to counselling first, when I was 15, I think. I accepted them after a while because I thought they'd help. When they didn't, I was put on a waiting list to see a counsellor but that took 6 months.
  • Options
    AD's make you worse. I have always refused to go on them, my mum was refure to have them but she stuck with it and she's ok now. I don't see the point. Things will get better after a while.
  • Options
    Originally posted by ice-babe
    AD's make you worse. I have always refused to go on them, my mum was refure to have them but she stuck with it and she's ok now. I don't see the point. Things will get better after a while.

You can't say that, they do alot of people good. I was on them & i wouldn't have been able to start getting better without the help of them. They don't cure you but they help you cope whilst you seek other help.
    Depression is a chemical imbalance, it doesnt just go away on its own.