Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Justice for women?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3785049.stm

This relates to the City investment banker who is suing over alleged sexual discrimination, seeking to gain a compensation sum of over £7 million.

Is this good for women? Or does it just show the greed of some people and the dangerous compensation culture of britian?

Comments

• Options
    If the money is mainly loss of earning then fine. If it's about "feelings" then I'd say it was a little high.

Based on what I have just read, I have a feeling that the bank should be getting their cheque book out soon...
  • Options
    I agree that they should be punsihed etc but isn't this justice for the rich and a display of disgusting greed?
  • Options
    I don't think justice should have a monetary value.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    I don't think justice should have a monetary value.

What is your suggestion then?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    What is your suggestion then?

the stocks

;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    I agree that they should be punsihed etc but isn't this justice for the rich and a display of disgusting greed?

Have I missed something then?

Isn't this just a claim for unfair dismissal? We can all do that - given the right grounds...
  • Options
    We can all do that if we have the money to fight the case surely?

Don't know enough about law but at a guess yuor average person would have a tough time taking on a big comapny on their own.

What I was trying to get at was even if she is right, does she belittle her claim by trying to get so much money? Don't you see an element of opportunism rather than a fight for justrice?
  • Options

Don't know enough about law but at a guess yuor average person would have a tough time taking on a big comapny on their own.

Well, if I understood correctly they have a history of discrimination, which means her case stands stronger.
    What I was trying to get at was even if she is right, does she belittle her claim by trying to get so much money? Don't you see an element of opportunism rather than a fight for justrice?

That is where it hurts the most... So I'd say she is just making a stand, which can benefit her hell of a lot.
  • Options
    I agree with jaqueline.
  • Options
    benefits her, but not others.

That amount of money does not come from nowhere, they may have to cut costs to recoup the lost, that might mean sacking people etc....

You can pnuish them without engorging yourself on disgusting amounts of money in the process.

Also this kind of litigation encourages money grabbers to seek false claims, casting more suspicion on the true claims......
  • Options
    benefits her, but not others.

That amount of money does not come from nowhere, they may have to cut costs to recoup the lost, that might mean sacking people etc....

You can pnuish them without engorging yourself on disgusting amounts of money in the process.

Also this kind of litigation encourages money grabbers to seek false claims, casting more suspicion on the true claims......

I agree, no matter how much profit the firm has they won't have budgeted for a £7m lawsuit and so they'll have to recoup their losses somehow. I can't see the executives taking a pay cut or drop in bonuses... it'll be the average employees who suffer.

I agree with her taking action but I think the sum of money involved is stupid and far too high. Whilst I wouldn't be happy with just an apology, some sort of public declaration of their wrong doing and enough to cover loss of earnings whilst I was out of work would satisfy me.
  • Options
    Thing is, these are people who deal with such large sums of money. They know the exact worth of what they're asking for, and the consequences of it could be.
  • Options
    I very much doubt that city investment bankers consider the consequernces of their actions on avergae employees.

This woman has most likely made decisions that have led to the redundancy of many, many people..........
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    I agree with jaqueline.
    So weird when people write Jacqueline :)
  • Options
    We can all do that if we have the money to fight the case surely?

Shouldn't be a problem. It may take a little leg-work but many solcitior will work on a case like this of no-win no-fee.

No, I think this case is different.

From the article it appears that there is a culture in this company and they don't seem to have learned from other cases. That said I would rather see the money go elsewhere than in a single pocket.

As I said at the start though, it really depends on what the £7m represents. Loss of earnings is one thing, feelings are another.
  • Options
    Well I know they get paid well at places like that but does £7 million sound like a erealistic loss of earnings to you?
  • Options
    Depends on how many years, potential bonuses, promotions etc. It can soon add up.

As you say the wages there are pretty high anyway...

And as usual the lawyer will have inflated the claim anyway so that they can talk it down to what they really want...
  • Options
    it kind of makes you sick that sarah paynes parents got what was it, £11,000 for the loss of their child, who was found severly decomposed and eaten by wild animals. i would say that is far more traumatic than what that women had to go through. not saying she did not suffer... but she still has her life.

and whats amusing is my mum was stabbed (didnt know the person at all- it was just an attack) and severed her tendom and cut through an artery. it was unprovoked and guess how much she got? £2,300. ha, she was unable to work for months and still has no feeling in 4 of her fingers.

some justice!