Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Primary School Education

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was always taught when you do sums or write , take your time and that way you'd learn it properly, rather than rush and get it wrong.
Anyways my Daughter brought homework home yesterday and it was about times tables. They had to say it as fast as they could and see if they could beat the time they did earlier. Now is it me or do you think this way is wrong ?
Surely if kids are rushing things they will make mistakes.....wont they ?
Is this a new way of teachng children ? Do you think this is a good idea ?
Many new ideas are being brought into schools and i just wondered wether im the only one who thinks rushing work is a silly idea.

Edited cos i couldnt write properly........probably because I rushed it ;)

Comments

• Options
    Times tables?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Times tables?

1 x 5 = 5
    2 x 5 = 10
    3 x 5 = 15

Although her homework was the 7 times table. Also they only do it to 10, when we were kids we did it up to 12........things have changed.
  • Options
    Ah.

Our teachers were really strict about that too.
    Normally I'd agree with you. But teaching them to say it fast, is a way to teach it by heart, which is the deal with time tables.
  • Options
    I'm rubbish at my times tables!!

I think the best way for them to learn multiplication is through repetitition to be honest, so saying it quickly, as long as it is correct is quite right.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    I'm rubbish at my times tables!!

I think the best way for them to learn multiplication is through repetitition to be honest, so saying it quickly, as long as it is correct is quite right.

but if they do it as fast as she did then I cannot check wether its right. Because she was saying it that fast I couldnt even make out what the hell she was saying lol.

Yeah I see what you mean though. I just found it a bit silly to begin with.
  • Options
    I remember asking my teacher at school if I would ever need to use trigonometry or algebra. She said "no".
    And by God she was right. Thank the lord for the calculator :lol:
  • Options
    If there was one thing i had a real problem with at school, it was learning my times tables. I consider myself to be reasonably bright, but they just wouldn't stick at all. And i can't say I've been that bothered in 'real life'... I either use a calculator, or find a different way of working out what i need to. Don't see what all the fuss is about learning things so you can recite them...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kate1
    If there was one thing i had a real problem with at school, it was learning my times tables. I consider myself to be reasonably bright, but they just wouldn't stick at all.
    Me too. And I never got left and right...
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Although her homework was the 7 times table. Also they only do it to 10, when we were kids we did it up to 12........things have changed.
    Ah, but when people still used imperial measurements you would need to be able to multiply by 12 (12 inches in a foot, 12 pennies in a shilling...) but with decimalisation (damn those Europeans!) you only need to multiply by 10.
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    I remember asking my teacher at school if I would ever need to use trigonometry or algebra. She said "no".
    Obviously your teacher wasn't an engineer. I have been in situations where I have had to use trig & pythagoras at work.