Home› Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Absinthe

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Whats everyones favourite brand?

Im a big fan of the Sebor Absinth, less alcohol, but most wormwood :)

Comments

• Options
    Shouldnt this really be in the 'Drugs' section?

I cant say I've had it more than once. You cant get proper Absinth in the UK or most of the EU anyway, the woomwood is far too low, you'd pass out from the alcohol before you ever got any effect.
  • Options
    Re: Absinthe
    Originally posted by evil_dave

Im a big fan of the Sebor Absinth, less alcohol, but most wormwood :)

Are you sure Sebor has wormwood in it? I won some in a competition a couple of years ago and it just seemed like very strong (55%) alcohol to me. Didn't mention anything about wormword on the label either.
  • Options
    ive got two shiny bottles of zelea absinthe, mmm hallucinations

evil stuff
  • Options
    I have a little bottle of it sitting here on my desk right now...ivr had it for almost a year now....im saving it for a specail occation.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rockerchick
    ive got two shiny bottles of zelea absinthe, mmm hallucinations

evil stuff

Woodworm isnt strictly a hallucigentic I'm fairly sure its actually a poison.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda

Correct. But then again, so is alcohol :p
  • Options
    A bar a frequent sells 91.2% absinthe I think... it has lots of different absinthes; I think that's the strongest. Never had the guts to try it. Great bar though - every tequila you can think of (Bar CaVa in Liverpool... go there!)
  • Options
    Flake_MustaineFlake_Mustaine Posts: 1,261 Wise Owl
    Got a bottle of nasty 'Lar's' Absinthe (68%) from Andorra last March, it's really cheap over there... darned strong too, and just a capfull of it stops me dead. :D
  • Options
    i had this bottle of czech absinthe once... the round, green bottle..? good stuff, though i wasn't "blasted away" like i thought i would be...
  • Options
    I have no idea what brand I tried but I got a bit hesterical that it had wood-worms in it as I am a vegetarian. Apparently worm-wood and wood-worm are different things. But try telling that to me when I'm pissed!

I don't drink now though.
  • Options

ohh you trust me
    drink as much absinthe as i did on my brothers birthday and you'll hallucinate too
  • Options
    Woodworm is a little bug thingy that eats wood. Wormwood is what makes absinthe.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Absinthe
    Originally posted by Tim the Enchanter
    Are you sure Sebor has wormwood in it? I won some in a competition a couple of years ago and it just seemed like very strong (55%) alcohol to me. Didn't mention anything about wormword on the label either.

that depends there are some evil pretendy ones and theres the real thing the real thing has v. little alcohol in it :P
  • Options

wormwood is actually alive it drills evil little holes into your brain and makes you go mad
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Absinthe
    Originally posted by evil_dave
    that depends there are some evil pretendy ones and theres the real thing the real thing has v. little alcohol in it :P

Nah, 'real' woodworm still has a very high alcohol percentage, but with a higher thujone content. Woodworm being the other ingredient, with the active thujone causing the hallucinations..
  • Options
    i've had absinthe, no idea what brand. it made my hands shake when i did some but it didnt have any drastic effect like i thought it would.

does absinthe have a low alcohol percentage then? you've confused me with all this talk about worms.
  • Options
    We have some Czech Absinthe in the cupboard that my parents brought back from Prague. It's been there a few months and nobody's drank it yet. I might if it'd turn me into the green Absinthe Fairy like Kylie :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by rockerchick
    ohh you trust me
    drink as much absinthe as i did on my brothers birthday and you'll hallucinate too

I wasnt saying that you didnt hallucinate, I was suggesting that its actually a poison, not a hallucinagen. There is a clear difference.

And yes, I got it the wrong way round. But you know what I mean.
  • Options
    ahhh memories, I have so many stories about Absinthe such as waking up at 7am on the beach with seagulls above my head and no recolection of how I got there...

Stuff I get over here, can't remember the name, but its 85% alcohol (140 proof) and pretty mad stuff in high doses
  • Options
    140% proof would actually be 70% vol.
  • Options
    140% proof would actually be 70% vol.

I guess you're the man in the know, what exactly does % proof mean? It always baffled me.
  • Options
    I was under the impression that proof was exactly half of vol, so 100% proof rum would be 50% vol.

I'm not sure why you think I'm the man in the know, I'm barely a drinker let alone a heavy one. (and I'm not a man)
  • Options
    Hmmm well that is a shock to be honest, but I suppose one can't make assumptions! I thought you might know because of all the chemical stuff you know but I suppose it isn't the same thing?
  • Options
    Well I'm fairly certain proof is half vol, but why? I dont know.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Well I'm fairly certain proof is half vol, but why? I dont know.

Almost correct! From a google -

link here
    What is proof?
    Proof is a method of measuring the alcohol content of spirits. You calculate the proof of a spirits product is by multiplying the percent of alcohol by volume by two (2). For example, a spirits product that has a 40% alcohol content by volume is 80 proof [40 multiplied by 2 = 80].
    (and I'm not a man)

You lie!! :lol:
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I drank a fair bit at Run To The Sun and immediately gashed everywhere. :yuck:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    My maths was right but I just said it wrong, I said that 100% proof was 50% vol, I just explained it wrong.
  • Options
    Well i dont know anything about the technicalities of absinthe but from my one experience i dont plan to drink it again for a while!

We had a 700ml bottle of 70% absinthe my brother had brought back from gran canaria (i think) between 4 of us (ok so it wasnt quite full but there was only me and my friend who drank it properly)! Needless to say we were absolutly trashed!!!

My brother had told me to go in his room and get it along with the half bottle of vodka that was there because he didnt have a chance to get our drink for us- when he got back the next morning and found both bottles empty he was in shock- i dont think he expected us to drink the lot!!

Anyway that night my friend full on hallucinated this little boy walking across the room and getting in bed with her and lying next to her- :eek2: !

I know you cant buy bottles of the stuff over here but its legal to serve it in bars- my friend is remembered by the bar man in town because him and a friend of his are the only people to spend a full night drinking it!!

Quick tip aswell....dont have a shot of 1/2 vodka and 1/2 absinthe- its V.v.v.v.v.v. nasty! :crazyeyes
  • Options
    You can buy it in the UK, its just bloody expencive and wont have a decent level of wormwood in it.