Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

permanent hair removal

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
anyone had laser hair removal or electrolysis or anything like that?

my eyebrows are overenthusiastically close together, and i have to maintain a strict plucking regime to avoid looking like liam gallagher. now i'm gonna be earning, i was thinking about maybe having them zapped. it would save me several hours a week, and probably look loads better.

just wondering if anyone can shed any light, experiences, prices?

Comments

• Options
    Kaffrin, when I read the thread title I honestly thought that you were talking about hair removal for your head - I don't know why, I just pictured you bald. :rolleyes: @myself!
  • Options
    I've had my bikini line electrolysed, (my hair is dark and thick) so I needed about 5/6 treatments, but now, it's all gone, and before I finished, they would grow so thinly, I would be able to pull on them with my fingers, and they would slide out.

I'm having my eyebrows done at the moment (I got my eyebrows from my Sicilian father ;) ), I'm finding it slightly more painful than the bikini line, but the ones which have been done haven't grown back since, which saves me a lot of money in waxing.

The lady who does my waxing/zapping usually times it to see how much I can tolerate, and she has a price list according to times e.g. 5 mins, 10 mins and so on. I'll try and find out the prices so you can get an idea. It's really worth it.
  • Options
    This is what it says in my Lucky mag-

Lasers are best for someone with dark, thick, wiry hair and fair to medium skin. However, unless your hair and skin are uniformly very fair or very dark-so the laser isn't able to detect a contrast between the two-anyone can do this.

The humiliation factor isnt bad unless your getting a brazilian. If you're not, you just wear a paper thong. (if your getting your bikini line)

The pain factor is like a fleeting, stinging twinge-like a hot water splatter.

For the most part it usually takes 6 to 8 sessions but its avery case specific. Some people need touch ups every year orso. It hurts 80,000 times less than waxing. You can shave in between because the laser will still be able to find the follicle. And since you are not cutting the hair below the skin, theres no chance for a bumpy regrowth.

The bad parts about it.... It's permanent- think about the shape you want. the investment is up-front sum is hefty. Packages of six are around $1,000 to $1,650. (but thats for bikini lines and brazilians and it depends on the shape you want the hair to grow)
    Yoiu wont see instant results because the hair falls out a week and a half after the first treatment and grows back finer and lighter, or not at all. This continues to happen after each session until its gone. It takes time so if you go every four to five weeks, you're looking at six to seven months of treatment. Dont tan(real or fake) before you go get lasered in any spot you want the hair removed. Youll end up with a burn. Consistency is key. While you can skip a month or so and still successfully complete a treatment, you chance adding extra sessions at the end. Lasers wok best when they target your growth cycles steadily. If you do plan to get lasered, pop 2 advil 2 hours before the treatment. :thumb:

Electrolosis-permanently removing the hair
    lasering- permanently reducing the hair
  • Options
    what is advil?
  • Options
    My local place does this and i think the prices vary from around £100 to £600. Obviously the legs and bikini line were from around £250 upwards. I'd guess the eyebrows would be about £100.
  • Options
    Originally posted by freak
    what is advil?

a brand of american painkiller