Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

New rant: Odd baby names

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Read it here

Agree/ Disagree?

Comments

• Options
    Up to the parents, making certain names illegal is a little harsh. Though, I don't think I would call my kid "Audio Science".
  • Options
    Kids get bullied...the only person that should be blamed is the bully! I'ts a bit like saying it's unfair for people to have red-headed children incase they get called Ginger!
  • Options
    Originally posted by byny
    Kids get bullied...the only person that should be blamed is the bully! I'ts a bit like saying it's unfair for people to have red-headed children incase they get called Ginger!
    amen to that.
  • Options
    I actually really like the name apple!
  • Options
    i used to get bullied because of my real name: Luisa, not an odd name, it's actually very popular in spain and italy. now i don't use it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by byny

So right. The whole rant is bullshit.
    It's a matter of taste. It's not as if I am gonna pass a law forbidding the color purple, or whatever, just because I don't like it.
    A lot of parents choose names cause of the associations or the sound.
  • Options
    People can't even pronounce my name correctly as it is spelled the same way as another name - but even once I've told them they still refuse to say it correctly as if I'm the one in the wrong or something! My mum also has an unusual name - Dulcie, which when she was little 'made' people pick on her so she was known as Dee. I agree with Byny - the bullies are the ones with the problems!
  • Options
    i'm all for unusual names. a lot of my family have polish names, and they're quite odd. foreign names, ancient names, all that kind of jazz gets the thumbs up. and i do think Zinedine Zidane is a cool sounding name.

but i have to draw the line at fruits, veg and household objects. i mean.

and also it annoys me when people take regular names and spell them in stupid ways. like James - Jaymz. as someone who has a name that no one can ever spell right, i feel for the child's future pain.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I do agree on some level. Names like "Audio Science" are a lot stupid (IMHO), but neither because the name means something nor because the kid will probably be bullied. I don't like it because it sounds terrible, "Apple" on the other hand sounds very cute. My personal opinion is that all names should have a meaning in the person's own language, but not if they're going to sound bad.
  • Options
    Im into unusual names, but not extreme ones! I mean Apple? and audio science :eek2: :no:
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    and also it annoys me when people take regular names and spell them in stupid ways. like James - Jaymz.

yep yep. It's not original. It's not unique. It's shit spelling.

I'm all for unusual names. But badly spelt usual names are just daft.
  • Options
    People will always react to a name they've not heard before or isn't very common - it's the same with a lot of things. From experience, I've found that people soon tire of finding a different name amusing.
  • Options
    Unfortunately parents giving their kids cruel names is no new phenonomen: in the twelfth century, Abelard and Heloise called their poor son Astrolabe - which was at the time a newish invention and the cutting edge of technology.
  • Options
    It's Eric Djemba-Djemba. Only without the hyphen. Djemba Djemba is his surname.

I must say I hate some of the "original" names around at the moment. Porsche instead of Portia is pushing it, as are Chardonnay, Bubble and Sunshine. It's always seems to be townie teenage mums as well.

Unusual names are sometimes good, like giving an English child a foreign name.

edit: even the link says it's Eric Djemba-Djemba.
  • Options
    I think "Apple" is a much nicer name for a kid than some of the kids names I have heard recently, for example "Bradlee" "Jordan" "Courtney" "Britney" Pure chav in my opinion.
  • Options
    Naming your child I suppose could be compared to picking a tattoo; it's what the name symbolises that's important...though to be honest i really cannot see the significance of "Apple" :no:

Notice it's the usually the rich families that pick out these kind of names too?

*cough* Romeo Beckham
  • Options
    My freind's son is called Zeke Chino Marino <inster last name I can't remember here>. I think Zeke's a cute name.
  • Options
    Unusual names get you noticed and remembered.

Maybe this is what celebs have in mind when they name their children.

Personally I'd hate to have a really common name. There were 5 girls called Sarah in my year 9 science class and 3 girls called Emily. I have nothing against these names but think the parents could have thought of something less ordinary and more original.

Besides Romeo is cute and Tiger Lily and Apple are too.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Randomgirl
    Personally I'd hate to have a really common name. There were 5 girls called Sarah in my year 9 science class and 3 girls called Emily. I have nothing against these names but think the parents could have thought of something less ordinary and more original.

when i was 12, i was in a horseriding class with 2 other katherines, 3 katies and a kate. the instructor had to call us all by the horses names so we knew who she meant.

but i like my name. i never felt i had anything to live up to. i think if you have a really unusual and exciting name, people expect you to be a really interesting and exciting person. and maybe these kiddies will grow up to be like that, but equally, maybe they won't.

you think Romeo and Apple are cute now, but will it still be cute in 40 years time when Romeo is a balding, beer-bellied computer programmer and Apple is a chain-smoking hairdresser with an attitude problem?

and it's a sad state of affairs when the most interesting thing about a person is their name.
  • Options
    i think dutch names are really nice
  • Options
    Welsh names are nice too.
  • Options
    There's a football, I can't quite remember who, but he's down in the First or Second Division I think. His Dad named him after a Queens Park Rangers starting 11 so he's got 11 names. His Grandad said to his Dad "you cant call him that, he'll look like a right Charlie" and from there Charlie stuck as his nickname.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    Welsh names are nice too.

I cant muster up enough phlegm in my mouth to pronounce any of them.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aspartame
    I'm not sure it's their wealth that caused them to choose such an "interesting" name... ;)

we don't get many "Apples" or "Romeos" over here!
  • Options
    There's a football, I can't quite remember who, but he's down in the First or Second Division I think. His Dad named him after a Queens Park Rangers starting 11 so he's got 11 names. His Grandad said to his Dad "you cant call him that, he'll look like a right Charlie" and from there Charlie stuck as his nickname.

think you meant footballer but yeah, it was in the papers over the weekend, its charlie oatway who plays for brighton. if i could be bothered to go and get the paper i would, but you know.

these new names are stupid, but lets face it (im sure someone else has said this) its not exactly like apple martin will be going to brixton comprehensive now is it?

oh, and zidane's real first name is actually fahid. now not a lot of people know that...