Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Tongue pierced

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Me and my friend are planning on getting our tongues pierced next week, does it really hurt? The lady said she doesn't freeze the tongue. Tell me all. I'm going to the same woman who did my belly button so shes very good and it's all clean etc.

Comments

• Options
    I had my tongue done about 4-5 years ago, and it didnt hurt people always think it does... i think my belly button hurt more to be honest,
    oh also they cant freeze the tongue coz its illegal (i t hink) if you swallow your tongue.. your dead. so thats why they dont do it. but you will have trouble eating for the 1st few days... i ad to eat soup and ice-cream (wicked excuse for a unhealty food feast):D

hope this helps...
  • Options
    i found that the day after, my tongue had swollen so much i couldnt eat and i could hardly drink! didnt last long though, and its alot better once they downsize the bolt, takes up less room in your mouth:D
  • Options
    nah it doesnt hurt to get done, it swells a bit thou but i was eating normally after 2 days!!
  • Options
    they can give out anaesthetics, but only freezing spray, which really only numbs the surface. doesn't hurt much though. my tip - don't look at the needle.

when i had mine done they gave me a really long bar. you need a long one to accomodate any swelling, but mine was so long i couldn't even close my mouth properly, so i couldn't eat or speak right until they downsized the bar 2 weeks later.

i'd say it hurts about as much as having an injection, or a blood test. you can definitely feel it, but it's hardly agonising.
  • Options
    thats not fair you guys get them to take the bar out earlier. I've never even heard of anybody doing that and let me say it would have ben a helluva lot better! and just as a word of warning, do not attempt to pull your tongue back in your mouth when the clamp is on and the needle halfway through. It will cause an extreme amount of pain.
  • Options
    Originally posted by my_name
    and just as a word of warning, do not attempt to pull your tongue back in your mouth when the clamp is on and the needle halfway through. It will cause an extreme amount of pain.

:eek: arrrrrg
  • Options
    Originally posted by SupaStar
    :eek: arrrrrg

what i was thinking! :crazyeyes
  • Options
    Re: Tongue pierced
    Originally posted by jellygirl
    Me and my friend are planning on getting our tongues pierced next week, does it really hurt?

Yes!!!

Mine hurt like hell!
  • Options
    Arnica is your friend.

The piercer used a mild anaesthetic spray on my tongue. Tasted horrible, but I hardly felt a thing. I doubt if the anaesthetic made that much of a difference, but I'm glad I had it.
    There was hardly any blood at the time. Just a hint of pink when I rinsed my mouth out just after having it done.
    I went back and had the bar downsized after six days, and only left it that long due to getting back in due to work. I could've happily gone back after five, or possibly even four, days. Though it was a bit tender and sore for the first five days, so the sixth day was the best. It was only another two and a half weeks before I had it downsized again to the final size.

What may have enabled me to go back for downsizing, and kept the swelling at bay, was the use of a natural anti-inflammatory medication called Arnica. The piercer advised taking two every two hours for twenty four hours before getting pierced, and then to keep taking them for at least ten days afterwards. The bottle of them I had ran out after two weeks anyway, so I finished them off.
    I also took Ibuprofen, which is a pain killer which is also an anti-inflammatory medication. Incidentally, if you're suffering a lot, you can also take some paracetamol along with Ibuprofen.
    I also had a flask of ice, and a bottle of water, and kept sipping that frequently to cool it down.
    Also, I don't smoke, eat spicy foods, and didn't drink alcohol during the healing, all of which will irritate a tongue piercing.
    So, for me it was a fairly painless, and quick, piercing to have. If I lost my tongue piercing tomorrow, I'd happily go and have it redone the day after. I love it!
  • Options
    Got it done,if i knew how to put a pic up i would,it was fine until the next day when it swelled up and it hurts like hell now, i have to get it downsized in 2 weeks.
  • Options
    anyone see that episode of mythbusters where they determined that someone with facial piercings might be more likely to be struck by lightning than someone without? kinda interesting. i like that show.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    when i had mine done they gave me a really long bar. you need a long one to accomodate any swelling, but mine was so long i couldn't even close my mouth properly, so i couldn't eat or speak right until they downsized the bar 2 weeks later.
    Really?? That's a bit unprofessional of them. The top of your mouth must have been all bruised and torn up, ouch! I've still got my piercing bar in.....
  • Options
    I would really like to get this done but ive heard that getting your tongue pierced ruins the taste buds in your tongue. Is it true or am i just hearing bull :lol:
  • Options
    I haven't had any problems tasting things, there was no change at all as far as I could tell.
  • Options
    Originally posted by LadyJade
    Really?? That's a bit unprofessional of them. The top of your mouth must have been all bruised and torn up, ouch! I've still got my piercing bar in.....

i said just after i had it done that i couldn't close my mouth and the piercer chick said it was probably just cause my tongue was sore and beginning to swell. so, not being an expert, i took her word for it, and became a mouth-breather :(

but then i put the original bar back in after i'd had it done a year, and i still couldn't close my mouth, or even talk properly with it in.

i think it's because i had to have it pierced quite near the front of my tongue, where the roof of my mouth is lower. everyone else's i've seen seems to be placed further back.

and yeah, the taste thing is bollocks. so is the 'tongue falling off' and 'tongue cancer' things.
  • Options
    Hmm, that makes sense. I'm the opposite, my piercing stud is still in because the piercing is so far back, it is the only way I can comfortably get the stud between my teeth!
  • Options
    Originally posted by WildSpirit
    I would really like to get this done but ive heard that getting your tongue pierced ruins the taste buds in your tongue. Is it true or am i just hearing bull :lol:
    Ruined taste buds? It's bull! Nobody I know has ever had problems.
    There are very rare cases where people have had problems with piercings that have led to loss of sesation due to damaging nerves. But you usually find that they were people who didn't look after the piercing, or went to a dodgy piercer, and had infections and complications. I suppose that may cause a loss of some taste too. But these are very very very rare.