Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

stuck

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
next year i'm hoping to start my as psycology, and finishing all my other GCSEs.

but what i'm wondering is, what quals do i need to become a sound enginer or a journalist? i haven't really desided which and what would be better NVQs or what??

and whats what quals wise? i haven't got a clue?

and whats they basics needed for entry into uni?

thanks

Luby
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    To be a journalist I'd say you should probably do English and Media Studies A Levels, thats if the 6th form/college do Media Studies. But you'll definately need English. Then you could go on to do a Journalism course at university, the amount of points you need to get in will depend on what universities you apply for.
  • Options
    I didn't do english past GCSE actually and I'm a journalist ... well channel editor now :p That said english is obviously useful, as is a strong interest in current affairs Info on journalism training here and here

Good maths skills are usually required for sound engineering,
    More info here
  • Options
    my brother's a sound/lighting technician/designer, and he tours with bands mainly.

he has a good basic education - GCSEs and A Levels, but after that he didn't go to uni, he got work in a related area, paid to do a short course in London, and came out with a professional qualification. i think it was a few weeks long and cost a few thousand quid. after that it's all about who you know, and what you've done.

get work experience now, that way when you're trying to get into it, you can say 'yeah, i worked with so and so'. he did the world tour with coldplay, and now he gets so much work thrown his way that he can pick and choose what he wants to do.