Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Put-Down People

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Was thinking about this today, two freinds arguing made me think.

Do you have a freind who's always coming out with put downs, particularly when you meet new people? Why do you think they do this?

Do you often find yourself making such comments? why do you think that is/whats the purpose

:confused:

(i think some people do it as a habit, not out of spite, they just dont realise they are doing it)

Comments

• Options
    I have a "friend" a bit like that, she always has to say something slightly nasty or unnecessary if you are in a group or any public situation, lets call her "friend A" take this for example.....a friend of mine (friend B) was chatting to a bloke in a nightclub, this friend had been single a long time and deserved a bit of male attention. Anyhoo, they were getting on great and Friend A wanders over says to the bloke and says"Hiya, I see you have met friend B, you would have never thought she was 30 with 2 kids would you???" I'm not being funny, and she is 30 with 2 kids but she looks absolutley stunning, but we all thought that wasn't really Friend A's place to say that, and she was just trying to put Friend B down in public, and divert the blokes attention to herself!

Friend B can be pretty nasty at times, if you have just split up with a bloke, she will ALWAYS say "I'm so glad you got rid of that wanker, he was always trying it on with me while you two were together" which, 9 times out of 10 is rubbish, seeing as she usually only meets them once, and there was no opportunity for any flirting to take place. She also takes great pride in being the bearer of bad news, she positively gets off on telling you all about your ex boyfriends stunning new girlfriend. RARRRR she annoys me so much and it's not like she is a close friend!! more of an unavoidable friend that has been around for years...she just appears wherever I am!! I'm sure she dishes out all these put-downs out of insecurity and the power trip she gets out of making someone else feel rotten.
  • Options
    i think there are two groups of people who do this.

the first are just generally nasty people who just like to embarrass others. avoid people like this.

the second are really insecure people who sense that insults are going to fly, and want to get in there first. or they feel the only way they can be liked is to make jokes about other people. i've known loads of this type of person, and they just need to be shown that people will laugh just as loud if they're telling a joke that isn't a put-down, and they they don't have to play the joker 24/7 to be liked.
  • Options
    yup, annoys me sometimes but he's still my mate. its mainly when a girl comes along he'll start saying how perverted you are, and such, and laughs at himself. Anyway, normally the girl hates his laugh and starts talking to me :D
  • Options
    i do it sometimes to people, when i nervous and just wanting to not seem quiet and dont know what else to say

try to avoid it, i put down friends in front of friends, but i never backstab which some people i know do about people, probably do aobut me too
  • Options
    My group of (soon to be ex) friends constantly feel the need to put people down or rubbish their achievments in some way. It's already been said, but it is about insecurity and sometimes jealousy. I've yet to find someone like this who is genuinley happy. So they take it out on everybody else and try and drag them down. At least in my experience.

You'll probably find that the put-downs make the person giving them out feel worse than the victim.
  • Options
    jelousy or a way to hide their own insecurities
  • Options
    I have a friend like this who was always making negative comments about my boyfriend. Now that she has found someone she tells me he is the best thing to every happen to me. She was just jealous and insecure.
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    i do it sometimes to people, when i nervous and just wanting to not seem quiet and dont know what else to say

try to avoid it, i put down friends in front of friends, but i never backstab which some people i know do about people, probably do aobut me too
    The first time I met you in real life I was so nasty to you. If I was you I wouldn't talk to me anymore. But I asked you about it before and you seemed to have no recollection of it anyway.
  • Options
    Originally posted by ~*STRESSED*~
    My friends didn't like my ex. They thought he was no good for me and would end up hurting me. They didn't like his attitude and everything about him. My friends commented on my other ex as well though but not much. I don't think they are jealous or insecure, just think they know who is good for me or not and look out for me. They know me so well and they see things I don't and they are usually right and they have just proven that.:rolleyes: I should have just listened to them, now they are both saying "I told you so" which annoys me so so much!:mad:

ditto
  • Options
    Most people do it through insecurity, eitehr to make themselves look bigger and better or to just get the retaliation in first.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Randomgirl
    The first time I met you in real life I was so nasty to you. If I was you I wouldn't talk to me anymore. But I asked you about it before and you seemed to have no recollection of it anyway.

i cant remember it, thats why! and since i didnt remember it too much it culdnt of been that bad compared to others! lots of people on our course r really moody normally! u reckon ull pass physical sciences?
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    i cant remember it, thats why! and since i didnt remember it too much it culdnt of been that bad compared to others! lots of people on our course r really moody normally! u reckon ull pass physical sciences?
    I'm not sure. They said if I fail they have special circumstances meetings when they decide what to do as my health has not been too good this year.

Do you think you did well enough to pass?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Randomgirl
    I'm not sure. They said if I fail they have special circumstances meetings when they decide what to do as my health has not been too good this year.

Do you think you did well enough to pass?

well the maths you done was a little bit harder than what most the chemistry people did so for that you deserve to, only cause that means i deserve to pass :p

your health not too bad now i hope :)
  • Options
    Oh dear, time to be ganged up on by the sounds of it.

I'll fully admit to being Queen of the sarcastic put down i'm afraid. Although it is very rare that i am cruel to people or do it just to show them up. Most of the time i do it as part of banter with customers at the pub, they've come to expect something and to be honest half the time they give as good as they get. Unfortunately i can't help having a dry/sarcastic sense of humour but the key is to keep it in check and make sure you don't take it too far.
    At the end of the day don't give it if you can't take it.