Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

psoriasis

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
for those of you who have/had psoriasis: how long does it take for the scars to fade?

i know its different for each person but would like to know how other people deal with it.

ta

Comments

• Options
    I dont have it but a friend of mine does.

It depends how bad you have it, some people have scars all over and they never go and some people may get a little itching every now and then.

You can get cream for it i think, try e45 or daktacort creams.
  • Options
    Re: psoriasis
    Originally posted by superfly
    for those of you who have/had psoriasis: how long does it take for the scars to fade?

i know its different for each person but would like to know how other people deal with it.

ta

i have psoriasis and been using nizoral and polytar for over a year now, and well i think should take about 6months at most for scars to heal

isnt psoriasis only on scalp anyway so how would you see scars unless you a skinhead?
  • Options
    Na it can be anywhere, my mate has it all over
  • Options
    there is a spray moose - which i can't remeber the name of - but will find out.... which is more powerful than things like polytar - but is only available by prescription, but it can clear it up from your scalp in less than a week....

willl try and remeber the name and come back..
  • Options
    i had it on my scalp, shoulder blades and down both arms.

this is when i was about 14-15, cant really remember.

i was on dovonex and various hydrocortisone ointments, the scars on my back have gone, the scalp thing comes and goes and the arms are ok now, but im still left with one very angry scar on one arm (from shoulder to elbow, very pretty) the other arm is still a bit dark but is less noticeable.

im now nearly 21 and am really fed up with it, it kinda limits what i can wear too, its not really something i want to show off if you know what i mean!

i would kill to live somewhere with a better climate...
    :impissed:
  • Options
    I've had psoriasis for 18 years now. I've had it pretty much everywhere on my body; scalp, arms, legs, tummy, ears, feet, face - I didn't grow eyebrows until the age of around 10, because of the psoriasis around my eyes.

My scars have never really faded. They do fade in summer, but in winter the scars come back.

This is what my arms have looked like ever since I can remember....

http://img14.photobucket.com/albums/v43/Ilora-Danon/Scars_1.jpg

http://img14.photobucket.com/albums/v43/Ilora-Danon/Scars_2.jpg

Ilora x

Edited to add: I've been plastered in every oitment out there, and nothing seems to help... I'm on dovonex now for one angry piece on my leg, but after 3 weeks of 2wice a day, nothing happens.
  • Options
    I've been plastered in every oitment out there, and nothing seems to help

isnt it an absolute bitch? :mad:
  • Options
    I got an oinment called Dermovat, which was the strongest thing I could get hold of (with doctor-prescription of course), and it really did help. But it had something in it which provoked stretchmarks. So I have these horrible stretchmarks on my stomach and under my knee.
    My dermatologogist put me on something lighter, and I still use Dermovat for my scalp once to twice a week. It's helping.

Either way, I don't have that much. And don't really get scarring. Have got one of the kind that Ilora showed on her pic. So it's bearable. But the scalp is killing me. And I am really sad about the stretch-mark as thety're massive, and there is nothing which can be done apparently, except from waiting and putting some cream on which doesn't seem to help.
  • Options
    I had psoriasis for most of my childhood and was using dovonex which I think helped a bit but when I was stressed (which was quite a lot), it flared up badly. Eventually, it just kinda disappeared, I now have a small scar on each elbow and a bit of scarring on my knees but that's all, not enough to bother me anyway.
  • Options
    My mum has psoriasis. Apart from the scars she seems to have an allergy to sun, so her skin goes patchy when exposed to sunlight.
  • Options
    TheSite article on psoriasis has a couple of useful links at the bottom

Susie :)
  • Options
    my dad is covered in it but he finds sun helps, and not to itch!!