Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Nooo American values spreading!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
story
I'm just watching the news and the news broadcaster woman throws a statistic at that preacher "9 out of 10 people break the chastity vow and then they are less likely to use contraception" so how does the preacher respond? "That statistic is not accurate". Hmmm :yeees: all the same he could have made a constructive comment I have seen this happen so much with those god fearing Americans - when you say something they don't like the sound of they don't beleive it exists!

Anyway, god save our teenagers from these preachers - in America they actually persuade people not to use contraception in some places because the church (which has a lot more influence I think) is anti-contraception. They say it doesn't work etc - like in Africa when the missionarys told the people that condoms didn't stop HIV, so people couldn't be bothered to use them! It's gone mad!

Comments

• Options
    Does anyone fancy a TheSite.org meet-up to go and kick seven shades of shit out of these fuckers?

Evangelical Christians piss me off so much. I almost hope that there isn't a God just to see the looks on their pathetic faces when they die.
  • Options
    Isn't the same group who, when asked what place there would be for homosexuals in the scheme, who they are against getting married, simply denied the existence of gay people? They are "simply people who have been led away from God by the Devil himself" or something

So I think the plan is that good, heterosexual Christians who abstain survive while everyone else dies.
  • Options
    Yeah, it is a bit crazy. I remember watching a programme about something called 'the silver ring thing' that was all about chastity before marriage etc. These things don't seem to take account of changing society and values, trying to hold it in stasis indefinitely. One thing that pisses me off about these evangelical, mega religious things though, is the scaremongering. Like the AIDS virus can pass through the microscopic holes in a condom etc.
  • Options
    How is abstinence an American value? Its a Christian value.

Its a good thing, best form of contraception dontchaknow?
  • Options
    Fuck that, sex is great. :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Fuck that, sex is great. :D

Lol, my thoughts exactly!

But abstinence is no bad thing...Shouldnt criticise people for preaching it!
  • Options
    I will criticise them if they are fundamentalist nutters.
  • Options
    If they left out the religious stuff and simply said
    "yes, you can have sex but it would show a tremendous amount of willpower on your part if you didn't. Not forgetting that you won't have to worry about pregnancy or disease".

That is far more likely to work than
    "GOD WILL MAKE YOU BURN IN HELL IF YOU HAVE SEX"
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    If they left out the religious stuff and simply said
    "yes, you can have sex but it would show a tremendous amount of willpower on your part if you didn't. Not forgetting that you won't have to worry about pregnancy or disease".

That is far more likely to work than
    "GOD WILL MAKE YOU BURN IN HELL IF YOU HAVE SEX"

Lol!

Their message is not a fundamentalist rant as you seem to think.

http://www.silverringthing.com/howfar.html

They espouse quite a positive message, theres no ranting about the fires of hell to kids. Just because their beliefs are Christian you seem to want to make them out as cult-like lunatics.

I saw a documentary about the founder of the Silver Ring Thing and he said that a large percentage of the people who signed up to the Silver Ring Thing did not end up abstaining until marriage and he recognised that it would be unrealistic to think they would. He said he felt that it still served a good purpose if he convinced the kids to wait and not give it away prematurely. Personally I think thats something good, regardless of what religious beliefs it may be motivated by.
  • Options
    The Taliban would be proud...
  • Options
    People are obviously going to start having sex at some point, the best thing to do is to educate people so they know what they are doing when they do, do it.

It should be about people waiting to the right time and knowing hwo to be sensible, few people would agree that the right time is once you are married........

If an approach towards abstinence leads to less safe use whne people finally do have sex then that is dangerous........
  • Options
    Teaching kids that sex is an important thing that they should take seriously is a good thing.

However, US government funded church organisations teaching British kids?! Hmm, theres something suspect there.

The general message to kids should be, its best to wait to have sex with someone who you really care about (which might be marraige), and when you do, use a condom to make sure you dont get anything nasty.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    People are obviously going to start having sex at some point, the best thing to do is to educate people so they know what they are doing when they do, do it.

It should be about people waiting to the right time and knowing hwo to be sensible, few people would agree that the right time is once you are married........

If an approach towards abstinence leads to less safe use whne people finally do have sex then that is dangerous........

Yeah that is one downside of teaching JUST abstinence, although I think that no sex until marriage is a good value to espouse a downside is that it might mean that safe sex teaching is neglected which can result in kids who end up not waiting less likely to know how to protect themselves.
    Originally posted by bongbudda

However, US government funded church organisations teaching British kids?! Hmm, theres something suspect there.

There’s nothing wrong with US Christian groups preaching their message in the UK, they are just spreading their message. I don’t think this particular program will translate very well to the British teenage population though.

The general message to kids should be, its best to wait to have sex with someone who you really care about (which might be marraige), and when you do, use a condom to make sure you dont get anything nasty. [/B]

Yeah exactly, reinforce the idea that sex is special and you shouldn’t just throw away your virginity but don’t neglect safe sex education.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    The Taliban would be proud...

You reckon? I think they'd prefer to see a slightly more violent approach to the enforcement of their values.
  • Options
    I just think you are on suspect ground when another country is sponsering church organisations which then in turn are attempting to 'educate' kids here.

And what the hell happened to the seperation of church and state in the US?
  • Options
    I just think you are on suspect ground when another country is sponsering church organisations which then in turn are attempting to 'educate' kids here.

And what the hell happened to the seperation of church and state in the US?

Well the silver ring thing arent allowed to preach christianity at shows that are state funded. They are only allowed to incorporate christian teachings at privately funded shows.

I think about two thirds of the shows are privately funded, not sure though.
  • Options
    Originally posted by groovechampion

Yeah exactly, reinforce the idea that sex is special and you shouldn’t just throw away your virginity

I am not sure that this would be possible in modern society.

Popular culture is suffused with sex, often from young people.

When sexual images are used to seel products then doesn't this create the idea that sex is cool, reinforcing that young people want to have sex?
  • Options
    Of course it does, but that doesnt mean you cant put forward the idea that sex is important. That sex is something you should do with someone you care about.

And most importantly when you do it, do it carefully! Its a fairly simple message really.
  • Options
    I'm not saying you can't put it forward, juyst that i think it could be difficult given our cultural climate where there is so much sexual imagery that it cheapens the whole thing.........
  • Options
    Of course it does, but that doesnt mean you cant put forward the idea that sex is important. That sex is something you should do with someone you care about.

And most importantly when you do it, do it carefully! Its a fairly simple message really.

I think I can speak first hand since I am a 16 yr old virgin, the system in place at the moment seems to work for me. I know that if I did want to do it I wouldn't feel guilty about it for religious reasons, and that I would use contraception etc. This is from a mixture of pshe (physical social health education i think) lessons and visits from nurses etc who don't preach what's right or wrong; but lay down where the law stands, and what precautions you can take.

To be honest, if these bible bashers came to a typical yr 10 or 11 assembly and started spewing away how people were doing the 'wrong' thing by having sex - who would take them seriously. For one thing, people round my age (myself included) have a huge 'im right your wrong' complex, especially when it comes to adults telling them what they can and can't do.

British teenagers are, by and large, randy, arrogant, self-centered people (no offense intended) so will do what's right by them. Scare mongering does work - but not about God anymore because there are just too many people who don't beleive he's up there. Scare them with the threat of their willy falling off, or being left barren, or getting pregnant. That's why there is a large focus on STIs and pregnancy education. In my opinion we are doing fine and the Americans aren't needed.
  • Options
    Oh, teens have always been like that, thats why messages aimed at that segment are always so hard to get right.

They deserve to be treated as adults some of the time yet their descision making ability isnt that of an adult.

The PSHE when I was at school was dire, I'm glad to hear it is improving even a little.
  • Options
    Discouraging people from having sex can only be a good thing, but unfortunately it will only ever appeal to those who wouldn't have sex until they are ready anyway.

Those who want to shag around, or are made to feel like they should, will. That is the way of the world; short of putting everyone in chastity belts nothing will change.

Which is a shame, I think promiscuity, whilst enjoyable, is incredibly undesirable. Although that depends on your viewopoint; I think sex in a solid relationship is a lot better than a random shag, but a lot of (misguided) people disagree.
  • Options
    I wouldn't say that random shags are better, but so long as protection is used they're not particularly worse than sex within a stable relationship.

It's a question of common sense and moderation, as with anything. There is nothing wrong with someone not being attached to anybody and having sex at weekends with people they meet- from a certain age and in certain circumstances naturally. I don’t think getting blind drunk and shagging strangers in a club’s toilets every weekend is a terribly good idea.
  • Options
    Personally I just find the idea of the 'one night stand' quite distasteful. Maybe thats just me.

I cant really see anything wrong with it as such, as long as it between two consenting adults. But so often its linked with fairly desperate people and suspect choices.